F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Is my bike too lean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered some carb synch adapters. They should be here late this week. I'll let you know if a carb synch helped cure my bad gas mileage, high temperature, and the stumble in my 3-4k rpms.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by antatious
I just ordered some carb synch adapters. They should be here late this week. I'll let you know if a carb synch helped cure my bad gas mileage, high temperature, and the stumble in my 3-4k rpms.
Syncing carbs is does not fix bad gas, 3-4K stumble or high temps. Your carbs have to be in good shape BEFORE you sync. Syncing carbs will only give you a smoother running engine with better throttle response.

What name and number is stamped in the main jet?

I am running FactoryPro 138s with K&N filter and a full Hindle exhaust. Stock jets are 135.

My plugs look like this:

(Yes #1 WAS very rich due to a leaking petcock)

I would check
-slider needles for any signs of wear
-diaphragms for cracks or tears
-check float needles for signs of wear. (wear ring on rubber tip)
-remove all rubber / float assy / jets and spray carb cleaner into the 4 brass port on the intake. Also soak all brass jets in carb cleaner overnight.
-clean around the butterfly valve to remove all carbon.
-reassemble
-set the pilot screws to 2-2.5 turns out
-gently lift the sliders up and see how long it takes for them to fall down. Also make a mental note of the sound. All four should be the same speed and make the same sound.

-NOW sync the carbs.

IF you have glue or something plugging one of the slider holes, then the bike has a DynoJet jet kit.
(see: http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1140.pdf)

Good luck...

Last edited by Frank_F2; 07-05-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the info, Frank. I am not sure where else to turn. I have taken my carbs apart a few times in the last couple weeks and cleaned them last summer as well. They seem spotless. I have basically just taken my float bowl covers off and pulled out my jets and the floats. I have not investegated yet behind where the float pins sit (in the little hole). I have not sprayed carb cleaner in there in fear of harming something. Also, i have not let my jets soak in carb cleaner because they are spotless. I can see through every hole perfectly. Before I sync my carbs though, I will take em apart again and check the jet size. I am not sure if it is stock or not. I am assuming they are not stock jets because my bike has a K and N air filter and a full Muzzy exhaust and it is performing well in the high rpms. My problem is- when it heats up, my idle is crappier so when I shift, the gas or general throttle response is terrible.

I initially thought it was something with my float pins- which is what I will check again before I synch, but they looked fine. They all sit the same and respond the same, and all the rubber points are good. I will do a complete disassembly and cleaning of my carbs before I synch them. Like I said, I haven't gone further than taking my float bowls off and getting to the jets that way- so I will take it all (mostly) apart and clean whatever I see.