F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

F2 still making noise after cct install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 still making noise after cct install.

My 93 F2 has a constant rattle noise comming from what sounds like the front top of the motor. At first I thought it was a exhaust leak at the header/manifold. I replaced the header gaskets with new OEM ones. Noise was still there so I ordered up the APE manual cam chain tensioner. I installed it properly and followed the instructions on the CCT thread posted here. I adjusted it several times and no change at all to the rattling noise. Also it is a rattle for sure not a knock, and it is present at any engine temp, and increases with RPM,s. At a warm idle it is not so bad but give it gas and it sounds off. What is the next step???

Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM

I would guess that one of your valves is pooched. I had a "tick" that is similar to what you describe (follows engine speed, near top of engine). Obviously I am not sure if that is your problem (as I haven't heard it) but it could be... get the local mechanic to listen to it.

The cost of getting the engine out/apart and repairing the valve was more $$ than buying a new engine. I rode with the ticking valve untill it blew (about 4000-5000kms)and am now putting a new engine (with half the kms) into the bike ($300CDN for the new-used engine).

Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM

I agree that probably something in your valvetrain is broken. Probably easily repaired though... if you catch it early enough! Last month I lost a valve keeper (tiny little part) and eventually I lost the entire valve because it would drop down and be hit by the piston. I recommend repairing before it's too late.

Here's your costs... $60 for a head gasket, maybe $45 for a valve, plus whatever else is broken. Really not too expensive. Used parts may be available on Ebay. When I dealt with my problem, I just bought a used cylinder head on Ebay for $70 as it seemed smarter than buying just a new valve and keepers.

My advice: tear in sooner than later and find out what's wrong. Order from Service Honda: buy on Sunday, arrives Thursday to NYS!!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Thank you for the reply's. I just rode it today and it sounds bad. Ticking is not too bad on idle but is loud at any RPM's. The PO of my bike has the service manual somewhere but cannot find it. Does anyone have a link to a PDF for the service manual? After I pull the valve cover what should I be looking for other than anything obvious? While I have it torn down that far what else should I check? Bike has 20,000 miles on it and has hit the pavement at least 3 times but probably more. The PO said that before the last crash there was no noise, but upon start up some time later the noise was there.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...e%20Manual.pdf

Although the Clymer manual has better pictures.