F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Erratic idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna try some new plugs and fresh gas just to see if it helps. Would like to at least get it running to do the sync just so I know that's not the problem.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Think I may have figured it out. I bought new plugs and decided to check the spark from both coils before I put it all together. I was getting spark but it seemed really weak. Every so often it would get a big blue spark so I checked out the coils and they checked out good. But when I checked the pulse generator the ohms were either way over the correct range or nothing at all. Gonna change it once I get one and see what happens.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by king3fl
Think I may have figured it out. I bought new plugs and decided to check the spark from both coils before I put it all together. I was getting spark but it seemed really weak. Every so often it would get a big blue spark so I checked out the coils and they checked out good. But when I checked the pulse generator the ohms were either way over the correct range or nothing at all. Gonna change it once I get one and see what happens.
Did you try to start it up with the new plugs?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM

if it will run with starting fluid(altho i would never recomend it) you can rule out electrical issues , i would check the fuel filter , the vacume line to the petcock as problems with that can starve fuel delivery, also , be very meticulous with yer initial starting meathods . #1 raise idle with adjuster , #2 pull choke , #3 turn starter over for 3 seconds , if it fires adjust the idle as nessisary, if it dont, wait for a minute before retry as if you keep going you will flood it. if you think you flooded it , turn choke off and try turning over with throttle wide open , this will clear out the unspent fuel , then return the choke to on and try steps one two and three. ive been thru this before with unadjusted carbs. try my steps and see if it helps. had the same issue with a 900rr i had. hang in there bro

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Well it runs. Guess it wasn't the pulse generator. I did change out the plugs and fuel. Started right up and runs a ton better. Idle has cleared up a lot and doesn't seem to run as rich. Im hoping it stays running this time. At least to get the sync done. Thanks for all the help. Will update with more info if im having problems. Given I haven't tossed the bike in the river by then.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah sounded like fouled plugs to me, then again I suck with electrical, but weak spark/strong spark is still a spark and will ignite the air/fuel charge.

However your plugs fouled for a reason. You should look into it or you will be going through plugs often. If you haven't started the bike multiple times only to let it run for a min then shut it off, or ran with the choke on for a long time, then you may be running very rich or have an oil problem.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:19 AM

That's what im worried about is having to change plugs a lot. When I got it running this time I let it run for a while. It got up to normal operating temp and seemed to do pretty good. It may have had some bad fuel in there too. It was in the tank when I bought the bike so who knows how old it was. Once the weather gets a little better I'll get it out and ride some and recheck the plugs.