F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Clutch Cable Keeps Getting Stiff

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch Cable Keeps Getting Stiff

Well Okay my F2 recently received a new Second and Sixth Gear, (When I bought the bike it was fine but (1,000 Miles later) Second gear went out and we paid the dealer we bought it from to fix it. Well anyways I got my bike back and it was fine but then a day later I rode it and my clutch cable was so stiff that it was causing my clutch to disengage. So I called the dealer and they said to loosen the clutch cable adjustment, I gave it a bunch of slack and it was fine for a day then it went back to being tight. I had no more room on the lever to give it more slack so I called and they said to adjust it then on the bottom end. So I gave it more slack on the clutch case and then a few more days later it got tight again... Well so I brought it back to the dealer and said they need to fix it, (it was never right since I first got it). They said that the person who installed the clutch didn't soak it in oil so they said that should fix it. Well then a day later I rode and It tightened back up on me again. So I adjusted the lever once again, and decided to go on here.

What could be the cause of this or case? They said my clutch had plenty of life on it? Dirty Cable, Do I need a new cable? Is this a common issue?

Please help me.. It's been in the shop longer than I have ridden it.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your cable needing oil ? Could be.........
Maybe the cable is worn/has damaged filaments in the cable and it's sticking inside the cable carrier.
Not one I've heard of before......

Old 05-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some lubricant spray bottle with Teflon. It will loosen anything in the cable that might be binding up. If it isn't that, you have a head-scratcher.