Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scratch repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch repair

Friends,
I know this is not a car site, but I know that there are some people that might help.
So,it was like this, I had one of my friends get out of my z to help me get out of a very tight spot I was force to get out due to a fact an idiot park in a place he should not have. This friend of mine was sent out of the car for the only purpose of helping keeping an eye on at my car as I was trying to get at of this tight spot.
And you know what? My stupid friend was not paying attention to the car, as I was backing up. He kept on telling me to back up as I asked him to pay attention to my rear bumper. Long story short I felt I light contact of my car with the wall. I got real mad and told my friend what the f@*&%k. Why you did not tell me? His idiotic comment was, I was not really paying attention.
Anyway, I need to repair the scratch. It is not very bad but it will cost some money to repair it properly.
Does anyone know how to properly repair the damage?

Please advice, :icon20:
George from Pasadena,

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2003/front.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e2003/wide.jpg

Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Ty
Default RE: scratch repair

You are lucky that your car is the color that it is. Silver is definitely the easiest to blend and the easiest to hide scratches. The pics don't look that bad. If the scratches are deep, you will need to fill them with something like bondo or primer depending on the depth. If they are just surface scratches, go to Murrays or Autozone and buy that "Scratch-off" stuff that you used to see in TV ads. It actually works wonders for this kind of use. Can't do what you see on TV, but it really does help for light scratches.

If the scratch requires filler, do not worry. Simply fill the scratch using as little product as possible and use your finger to make sure the filler is BELOW the normal line of the bodywork. Use the color-matched paint from the dealer (very cheap in small quantities)to bring the scratch even with the rest of the bodywork or slightly above. Then use the same "Scratch-off" stuff (10 different ones at any Autozone)to blend the paint together and the scratch is gone. For maximum effect, wet sand the area VERY lighlty around the fix and then reapply wax so that there are no noticable "glare variances." Remeber that each step must dry completely before moving on. Four steps will take 2 days but it is well worth it when considering that Nissan will charge you an arm and a leg to fix it, if not replace the plastic.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 AM

Ok i don't think he needs touch up paint haha

Go to autozone and buy some RUBBING compound since you will be doing this by hand. If your fingernail catches it then its thru the clear coat then you'll have to touch up/wetsand flat/clear/wet sand then buff off the sanding marks.

If its not thru the clear (fingernail doesnt catch it) then buy some polish or compound thats made for hand use (contains a bit more fillers then ones you use with a machine).

Let me know how it works out of if you need anymore help

Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Ty

You are lucky that your car is the color that it is. Silver is definitely the easiest to blend and the easiest to hide scratches. The pics don't look that bad. If the scratches are deep, you will need to fill them with something like bondo or primer depending on the depth. If they are just surface scratches, go to Murrays or Autozone and buy that "Scratch-off" stuff that you used to see in TV ads. It actually works wonders for this kind of use. Can't do what you see on TV, but it really does help for light scratches.

If the scratch requires filler, do not worry. Simply fill the scratch using as little product as possible and use your finger to make sure the filler is BELOW the normal line of the bodywork. Use the color-matched paint from the dealer (very cheap in small quantities)to bring the scratch even with the rest of the bodywork or slightly above. Then use the same "Scratch-off" stuff (10 different ones at any Autozone)to blend the paint together and the scratch is gone. For maximum effect, wet sand the area VERY lighlty around the fix and then reapply wax so that there are no noticable "glare variances." Remeber that each step must dry completely before moving on. Four steps will take 2 days but it is well worth it when considering that Nissan will charge you an arm and a leg to fix it, if not replace the plastic.

Thanks so much for the info. The scratches are deepdown to theprimerand some to the plastic.I think I will try to do the job my self first. If the work does not come to good. I will try agin. After two attempts to fix it. I will take it to the best shop I can find.

Thanks again,

George from Pasadena.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

Ok i don't think he needs touch up paint haha

Go to autozone and buy some RUBBING compound since you will be doing this by hand. If your fingernail catches it then its thru the clear coat then you'll have to touch up/wetsand flat/clear/wet sand then buff off the sanding marks.

If its not thru the clear (fingernail doesnt catch it) then buy some polish or compound thats made for hand use (contains a bit more fillers then ones you use with a machine).

Let me know how it works out of if you need anymore help
Friend,

I think that the scratches are deep. I will try also the rubbing compound and see if it helps out before I do anything big.

I thank you the info,

George from Pasadena,