Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Help Needed

When I bought my bike, there were some minor blemishes and chips in the paint, and I didnt like the color. I decided to strip all the paint off, sand, and repaint it. I have done some research on the Duplicolor Paint Shop paint (stuff at auto store already premixed) and have come to the conclusion that it was not last. After looking up some more info on paint I found that lacquers will just start to deteriorate after a little time, and that they dont have a good finish. I also looked up some rattle can jobs... a few people said that they came out good, and most said they came out crappy. If I did all of the proper steps (stripping paint, sanding, priming, wetsanding, base, wetsanding, clear) could I have good rattle can results. I did see a guy on here who painted his cbr rr white and it looked great. I just am not sure if anyone on here has had success with rattle cans. All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 AM

If you do it correctly and buy quality rattle can paint, maybe from an online supplier (you can buy factory paints and dupont, ppg in a spray can im sure) and you know what you're doing and take your time and do it right you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Do a coat of primer, let it stand 24hrs, then do your base maybe 2-3 coats, then do another 2-3 coats of clear. Now what i would suggest is buying or mixing the clearcoat with a flex agent since its plastic just like car bumpers. This makes sure that if a rock hits it or if you take it off the paint wont just crack and peel.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by madeincanada123
When I bought my bike, there were some minor blemishes and chips in the paint, and I didnt like the color. I decided to strip all the paint off, sand, and repaint it. I have done some research on the Duplicolor Paint Shop paint (stuff at auto store already premixed) and have come to the conclusion that it was not last. After looking up some more info on paint I found that lacquers will just start to deteriorate after a little time, and that they dont have a good finish. I also looked up some rattle can jobs... a few people said that they came out good, and most said they came out crappy. If I did all of the proper steps (stripping paint, sanding, priming, wetsanding, base, wetsanding, clear) could I have good rattle can results. I did see a guy on here who painted his cbr rr white and it looked great. I just am not sure if anyone on here has had success with rattle cans. All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
i just posted pretty much a how to in the how to section, its the thread "how to paint my upper fairing" it has pics and such lots of info for you.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM

thanks for the help. i stripped all the paint off and im sanding it tomorrow. my buddy goes to boces for painting so he said he'll just paint it. and its free so i cant really go wrong

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM

make sure when you paint that you build a little section out of plastic covers. This way it will prevent some dust and other debris from landing on your fairings.

I would say the main reason why paint jobs come out bad is b.c bad prep work, technique and poor work area.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM

Oh yea POST PICTURES UP! before current and after!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM

I wont be able to throw up pics during b/c i deleted them off my phone and the fairings are already at boces but i can put up before and after