WTB speedo in Kilometers

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTB speedo in Kilometers

I have the one with miles and kilo's but the kilo's are small.
I need one for the 89-91 models, that measures in Kilos and has Kilos as the only dial..........
I have a full set of gauges for the 93-96 with a Kilo speedo.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
I have the one with miles and kilo's but the kilo's are small.
I need one for the 89-91 models, that measures in Kilos and has Kilos as the only dial..........
I have a full set of gauges for the 93-96 with a Kilo speedo.

First off, love the sig line ... I've read some of his works and find him to be somewhat, er, odd I guess is a nice way to put it. But I do like that quote.

As far as speedo goes, I looked everywhere and do not see anything. BUT, I have a great ideer ...

When I had my Busa I hated the stock gauge cluster and the unit was sold as one piece -- like $500 I think -- and the replacement was just as crappy as the original. So what I did was to disassemble the whole damned thing. Carefully removing the section that had the numbers on it. It was just a stiff paperboard kinda material.

Placed it on the scanner and scanned. I did the exact opposite of you. Photochopped the KM off and layered in some falcon pics (hayabusa is a Japanese falcon) and the kanjii symbols.

Printed on a heavy, heavy grade photo paper and cut to fit ... perfecto!! and cost about $3 and a few hours of my time.

Sorry I don't have pics but that was 8 years ago and I've been through about 8 puters ... will look the best I can for them but I'm pretty sure they were on my puter that the hard drive melted

Not sure if your model is cable driven or the meter type. If it is a meter type you gotta wire it up mostly disassembled so it can go through it's motion and set to zero. Then stick on the needles. Otherwise you end up with some funky readings. The Busa had a function that supposedly "reset" the needles ... I found this to be complete and utter nonsense

Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Here's a sorta picture ...

Attached Thumbnails WTB speedo in Kilometers-busa-top-end.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 06:38 AM

First off, love the sig line ... I've read some of his works and find him to be somewhat, er, odd I guess is a nice way to put it. But I do like that quote.
HUH ? I'm completely lost on that one !

As for making a card etc - I have a complete set of gauges for the 93 model, so the face isn't the problem - I could just mount the guts of my current one and use the face from the 93's - the problem is it will continue to count in miles.......The 93 unit has a drive unit which doesn't fit in my current setup - back is different too..........see attached pic for the difference.You wouldn't think that the gauge cluster was any different, but it is !
Thanks for the offer, Gregg, really appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails WTB speedo in Kilometers-s1050606.jpg  

Last edited by Shadow; 09-07-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by Shadow
HUH ? I'm completely lost on that one !

As for making a card etc - I have a complete set of gauges for the 93 model, so the face isn't the problem - I could just mount the guts of my current one and use the face from the 93's - the problem is it will continue to count in miles.......The 93 unit has a drive unit which doesn't fit in my current setup - back is different too..........see attached pic for the difference.You wouldn't think that the gauge cluster was any different, but it is !
Thanks for the offer, Gregg, really appreciated.
Sorry, this quote:
Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.
Kahlil Gibran
Can't help you with the odometer counting in miles but at least you could see your speed better in kilos, eh? I did a bunch of searching and can't find one that registers kms anywhere. Maybe somebody else has the answer ...

Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Yup. Gibran's a bit of an acquired taste - I've been reading his stuff since my "hippy" days in the late 60's when we all played guitars and sang "where have all the flowers gone" he he. We DID put flowers in our rifle barrels.....My favourite was the "free love" bit
Thanks Gregg, I'll prob find a unit in Germany - plenty of 1000F's there..........they know how to charge though...........

Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me an address and i will send you one

Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Tell me you're not kidding !
An 89-92 speedo with just Kilos in big letters.......................?????
And counts in K's too...............................
Hooo
Maybe we need to swap pictures of what you have to make sure it'll fit - mainly the rear of the speedo and drive...
What can I send you in exchange...................
PG O'Berg
49 Seventh Ave
Ashley
Pinetown 3610
Kwa-Zulu Natal
Republic of South Africa.