CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

TPS Issue - Voltage range isn't wide enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPS Issue - Voltage range isn't wide enough?

Hey All,
I picked up a 2002 CBR954RR that was owned by someone who got stuck overseas during covid, and decided to just stay put. Bike was cheap, but it had been passed around a few houses, mostly near the ocean so the corrosion took it's toll.

I stripped the bike right back, but didn't touch the engine. Frame and everything got blasted and repainted in stock honda paint colours, and I'm trying to get it back to stock.

Previous owner had removed the flappy airbox and exhaust, so I've bought the delete module for that and it's cleared that code, but I'm still getting a MIL 8 flash.

I've followed the all the checks in the wiring, and it's passed, all the way to the very last step which is where I am now.

I have checked the voltage as I open the throttle, and can confirm that it's out of spec.
The voltage is slightly out of range, it's appears to be slightly narrow. Should be 0.4-0.6v at throttle closed. It's 0.88. It should 4.2v-4.8v at wide open and it's maxing out at 4.14.

Wife is a nurse, so I got her to grab me some needles they worked a treat!

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Can anyone offer a solution?

Video of the throttle opening voltage.

Old 12-30-2023, 12:27 PM
Received 426 Likes on 387 Posts

What’s battery voltage when you’re doing these tests?
Need bike running so it’s under actual operating conditions.

Did you measure reference 5v line at sensor? Maybe ECU is bad.
Did you measure for shorts on circuit?
Is ground wire good? Ohms to chassis-ground=??

Old 01-02-2024, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I managed to fix it.
Turns out I could remove the TPS sensor, gave everything a really good clean with some electrical cleaner, and then reinstall it.
The sensor has some adjustment capability built into it, so with the airbox off, with the the needles jammed in so that I can test the voltage, I tested the TPS sensor while it was off the throttle bodies. I was able to get essentially 0v all the way to 5v. Ok, so the sensor itself works fine.,
I reinstalled the TPS sensor onto the Throttle body and realised it was adjustable, so I basically had it snug, but was able to tap the sensor to move it back and forth.

I started with 0.5v but it would reach 4.9v which is outside the required range.

I ended up getting 0.45v - 4.52v which is in the acceptable range.

So yeah, TPS can be removed with some T25 Torx screws, give it a clean, reinstall, adjust as needed.

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (01-04-2024)