Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

1994 CBR600F2 streetfighter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 CBR600F2 streetfighter...

Hi guys.

Well the story behind this bike...

Bought it in July '11 after my GSXf was stolen for £800. Had 7k miles on the clocks, and was in fantastic condition. It used it to get to work and back till i bought a car, then unfortunately dropped it on the grass in my garden.

The floats got stuck and i never had the time to sort it, so it sat for a few months till i managed to get the time to strip them down.

I got it sorted in time for it's MOT, when it failed on a few simple things... after i sorted them, i started using it every day.

Then the reg/rec failed. Melted the loom, switchgear, starter solenoid, battery, ECU, and the stator. I stripped the bike down and sorted everything, and got it back on the road. I've used it for the past 2 months to get to meets and other stuff like that, but when i came out to go out on it last week, it wouldn't start.

I decided while it was off the road till i sorted it again, i'd strip it and turn it into some form of 'fighter.

Anyway, here are some pics.

This is how it was when i got it, up till a couple weeks ago.

I decided to take the bars from my DT125 and slap them on, and duct taped a headlight on to see how it would look.

I decided i quite liked this look, so i took them off again and set about re-routing cables and wiring so everything was in place. i've put all the wiring under the coils (next to the fan) at the moment... i'm not sure if this is the best place for them due to the heat. Anyone able to give me a better suggestion on where to route them?

I'll be ordering some longer braided brake lines, as well as a longer clutch, choke and throttle cables so that they are long enough for the bars.

When i put the old battery back in to see if anything would happen, the engine started to turn over, which is a good sign. I think i'll need to get a new stator as i never replaced it the last time (never knew it was knackered), but i'll test everything next month when i get paid.

Anyway, i gave it a quick clean, and this is how it's sitting now.

And here's a quick vid from a couple months ago showing how it sounds...

Cheers

Dunc

Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Got the bike running again!

here's a video of how it's running now.

I'm thinking it might have just been a dodgy connection somewhere....

Anyway, i decided to play about with the wiring and cables, and came up with this.

I'm using parts off my other bikes and what i've got laying around in the shed, so it's coming along nicely for me having spent £0 on it since it last ran.

Unfortunately, the cables are a bit too short, so i'll either have to get new longer cables and brake lines, or flat bars and drop the bars through the yokes again. for now, i've stuck the clip-ons back on.

I'm also quite happy i just found a 5L unopened bottle of castrol 10w40 oil so i'll be using that when it comes to change the oil. In the same box was a set of iridium plugs, which i must have bought ages ago and never bothered fitting.

Oh, i forgot this.

I took it out for a bit after i'd changed everything and wired everything back up again. because of the wiring, i've had to take the two tubes from the airbox out, leaving the two big holes above the coils. sounds VERY good without them as you can properly hear the induction.

It rides abolutely fine though, i can't tell what the issue was, so i'm assuming there was a dodgy connection somewhere.

took it out for a half hour, checked the battery and it was nice and cool, so doesn't seem to be the same problem as the last time it broke down on me. i'm meeting with some people tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

The reg/rec was absolutely roasting when i came back from a ride... that's normal though. right?

Cheers

Dunc

Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

it does get warm, but it shouldn't "roast" - to the point where you can't easily touch it with your hands

Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Bearing in mind that i have an R6 reg/rec on it which has the cooling fins on it, i assume this is normal. that, or it's not charging properly and i'm gonna have a nightmare of a time fixing it

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well, all R/Rs do the same thing. thus, signs that they're failing are usually the same.

if you see one of your connectors, or the housing melt - it's going bad.

until then, ride the hell out of it.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Making progress now!

Went to a meet tonight...

Went into the shed, came back out and they were in the process of painting the bike.

I decided i quite liked it... even though they did it with rattle cans they did a good job.

took some piccies earlier when i came home from a short ride

Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check out HEL brake lines. I think they're UK based, great quality and fairly priced.

BTW, that's a pretty awesome build you've got going.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 PM

looks good man

Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys.

Still quite a bit to go. The list is as follows, in order of puchase:

Headlight & Clocks, plus new tyre to go on
Straight bars
Full Stainless exhaust system
2007 R6 tail with smaller plate
PAINT (candy white)
BROS 650 swingarm with VFR750 hub for the 180 rear tyre
Powdercoating the frame, BROS swingarm an wheels gloss black
USD forks? Undecided what i'll get them from

So all in this will cost me an absolute fortune, but that's the point in modifying bikes to your liking, right?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Sweet bike man, maybe I missed it but what are those handlebar mounted mirrors and where can I get them? Also, what headlight is that and what did you use to mount it? Keep up the good work

Quick Reply: 1994 CBR600F2 streetfighter...