CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

TooBroke rebuild 954 thread

  #1  
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 366
Default TooBroke rebuild 954 thread

hey guys, decided to post some pics of what I have been doing to bring my 954 back to life. So here's the gist of whats going on. Sold my r6 because the wife's pregos with our first xhild , long story short she was just as frustrated as me watching everybody on there bikes. So I said I'll build another we can ride for part of the season and than sell it. With that I need idea, I ordered the white fairing kit from auctmart. I'm powder coating the sub frame calipers swing arm rims upper triple and anything else that looks sub par. But my issue is what color I was thinking gloss white or black on the rims, and opposite on the calipers? I have one chrome rim( long story) I'd love to put on the bike but at around 300 bucks for the front I'd rather spend the money else where. Also any one know why no one uses the older vfr 750 sssa ? Have access to one fairly cheap? As far as the pica the majority of them are of me cleaning hardware and the brakes, pic of the parts bike in the garage being stripped. I'll post some more from my tablet tomorrow, thanks for your help guys.
 
Attached Thumbnails TooBroke rebuild 954 thread-img_20140430_180450773.jpg   TooBroke rebuild 954 thread-img_20140427_183632652.jpg   TooBroke rebuild 954 thread-img_20140415_185428829.jpg  
  #2  
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Conrice's Avatar
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,148
Default

The 750 Viffer shock mounts are different. Us 929/954 guys have to use one off of an 800 Viffer.
 
  #3  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
msebastianCBR's Avatar
ROTM, Nov 2014
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Default

Looks like my build, just further along.
 
  #4  
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 366
Default

Good thing I didn't buy it than I have enough parts I don't won't. I'm going to have the tires pulled off the rims today and pull the spring out of the shock.
 
  #5  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
msebastianCBR's Avatar
ROTM, Nov 2014
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Default

I am plasti dipping my frame, subframe, swingarm, and upper triple on my bike to cut back on cost. I will then be using high heat paint on the side covers and some other bits. I am doing this until winter when I will be pulling my engine for a complete rebuild and having everything sand blasted and powder coated. I am doing this to help out on initial cost so I can get my bike on the road. Plus I have heard some great things about plasti dip if done right as well as the high heat paint also when done right.
 
  #6  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Conrice's Avatar
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,148
Default

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR View Post
I am plasti dipping my frame, subframe, swingarm, and upper triple on my bike to cut back on cost. I will then be using high heat paint on the side covers and some other bits. I am doing this until winter when I will be pulling my engine for a complete rebuild and having everything sand blasted and powder coated. I am doing this to help out on initial cost so I can get my bike on the road. Plus I have heard some great things about plasti dip if done right as well as the high heat paint also when done right.

Can you explain to me a little bit more about how plasti-dip works? I'm getting the itch to ride and I don't want to have to PC my frame, engine mount, swing arm, subframe, rims, calipers, etc. - if I can get away with plasti-dip. From what I've seen it looks good.

Anyways, what kind of heat can it take? How durable is it? How many colors is it available in? Are there brands/kinds to avoid? Can I simply touch up things up down the road, or do I need to do the entire part again? Those kind of things...

Originally Posted by TooBroke0029 View Post
Good thing I didn't buy it than I have enough parts I don't won't. I'm going to have the tires pulled off the rims today and pull the spring out of the shock.
Yeah, there was a guy on another forum who found out the hard way. Poor guy already ground material off the sides before he found out.... he couldn't even re-sell it...
 
  #7  
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
msebastianCBR's Avatar
ROTM, Nov 2014
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Default

Originally Posted by Conrice View Post
Can you explain to me a little bit more about how plasti-dip works? I'm getting the itch to ride and I don't want to have to PC my frame, engine mount, swing arm, subframe, rims, calipers, etc. - if I can get away with plasti-dip. From what I've seen it looks good.

Anyways, what kind of heat can it take? How durable is it? How many colors is it available in? Are there brands/kinds to avoid? Can I simply touch up things up down the road, or do I need to do the entire part again? Those kind of things...



Yeah, there was a guy on another forum who found out the hard way. Poor guy already ground material off the sides before he found out.... he couldn't even re-sell it...

Sure thing buddy,


I search around on several forums and I am constantly looking for new ideas or cheaper ways to do things. I came across this thread Paint Swing Arm black? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net and saw where a member plasti dipped his swingarm instead of the PC'ing it which is what most do (post #27.) So I decided to do some more research and found out that it holds up really well if done right. The part needs to be thoroughly cleaned and then you apply several coats 4-5 and the stuff can hold up really well. I know a couple people who have done this 2 their car rims and it is holding up nicely (no chips or scratches.) Touch ups are pretty easy watch this video.
Also check them out for more info. It also peals right off without disturbing the paint or whatever is below it. There is no need to sand or anything like that either. The performix brand is what I am using and can be found at any auto store, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc. I am using it right out of the aerosol can. I am doing my frame, subframe, swingarm, upper triple tree, possibly my wheels with a polished lip, and some other misc. parts. I do not think it holds up well to heat so I am using high duplicolor heat paint for the side covers as well as their fleet coating paint for some other parts. Will all be detailed in my build coming up soon.
 

Last edited by msebastianCBR; 05-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.
  #8  
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
msebastianCBR's Avatar
ROTM, Nov 2014
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Default

I found this forum and a 929 with plastidip frame and subframe. Looks really good if you ask me.


Anyone using Plasti-dip????
 
  #9  
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Conrice's Avatar
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,148
Default

That's pretty bad ***. I do think I'll end up doing that.


Because I run a car rim on my bike - No one will mount tires for me. So, I can do it, but I always scratch my rims doing so. If I plasti-dip my rims - who cares. And I'm patching holes in my frame (from the fairing stay mounts) with J&B weld - which makes PC'ing it difficult. But not for plasti-dip

And if it really is that cheap - I don't care about touching it up every once in a while.


Thanks man!
 
  #10  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 366
Default

I like the way it looks but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. I may do the frame To curb cost some. I really do love the textured look.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TooBroke rebuild 954 thread


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.