CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

TooBroke rebuild 954 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good, when do expect it to be done. And please do the fairing color on the tank. It will look much better than just plain black. Plus you can buy the Honda decal and stripe and reapply them and it will look factory.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR
Looking good, when do expect it to be done. And please do the fairing color on the tank. It will look much better than just plain black. Plus you can buy the Honda decal and stripe and reapply them and it will look factory.
Not sure when it'll be done I mounted the front fairing today but realized I'm missing some more screws.. Ordered them so we will see when they arrive.

My other issue is going to be painting the tank. I can easily manage the body work and primer, but Dont have an adequate air compressor to handle the paint guns. So ill have to use aerosols instead just worried bout the clear hardening in the can and having to buy more.

Any advice or tips are appreciated.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

I bought a HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight. It has it's own compressor built in. It works very well. I've sprayed several types of paints with it and no issues.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
I bought a HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight. It has it's own compressor built in. It works very well. I've sprayed several types of paints with it and no issues.
Got a link? Interested in a system like that since I have quite a bit to paint in the future.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here you go!
High Volume, Low Pressure Spray Gun Kit

Like I said earlier, I haven't had any issues with it. I've ran primer, regular paint, latex, lacquer and clear through it. It does a good job for the money.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014

Originally Posted by TooBroke0029
Not sure when it'll be done I mounted the front fairing today but realized I'm missing some more screws.. Ordered them so we will see when they arrive.

My other issue is going to be painting the tank. I can easily manage the body work and primer, but Dont have an adequate air compressor to handle the paint guns. So ill have to use aerosols instead just worried bout the clear hardening in the can and having to buy more.

Any advice or tips are appreciated.
I didn't know you were painting it yourself. My experience with aerosol paint jobs especially on the tank is this. If gas gets on the paint it is screwed. The majority of aerosols does not protect from gas. So that is something to think about if you are going to do aerosols.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Here you go!
High Volume, Low Pressure Spray Gun Kit

Like I said earlier, I haven't had any issues with it. I've ran primer, regular paint, latex, lacquer and clear through it. It does a good job for the money.

Very interesting to say the least, I would have never looked at a product like this if you hadn't mentioned it. From the reviews( including yours) it seems top notch. Thanks hamlin6

I didn't know you were painting it yourself. My experience with aerosol paint jobs especially on the tank is this. If gas gets on the paint it is screwed. The majority of aerosols does not protect from gas. So that is something to think about if you are going to do aerosols.
If I do the spray cans I was going to but the style with the pubch (?) To release the hardener. the clear comes ready to roll you just have to activate it and go to town. Problem like with any clear is as soon as it sets its done.

No updates today feeling under the weather ate some bad food for lunch put me out of commission for the rest of the afternoon.

I hate being mortal sometimes.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, I will admit it looks a little hokey. The reason I bought it was the reviews and the price. I figured worse case, I could paint whatever needs painting on my honeydo list. But I'm really glad I bought it.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Smile

Sorry for posting such terrible pictures all the time the garage is packed buddy has his projects 05 gsxr 1000 03 600rr 86 kz1200(?) And then my bike(s) tools and everything else. I started mounting the fairings they seem to fit fairly well but I have to mess with the right side some more. There a decent gap where the front and side meet and it will annoy me to no end till its fixed.

Had issues with the turn signals I purchased. There flush mount with a plastic but on the back but there's really nothing to mount it on the fairing. Only the inner fairings? When I looked at parts fiche it shows a factory grommet but I'm unclear as to how large it is or how much it will pull the signal out.

So instead I mounted ones that came off of one of the extra fairings ended up soldering a factory plug and heat shrinking the wires.

Its starting to come together.

Attached Thumbnails TooBroke rebuild 954 thread-img_20140723_185830860.jpg   TooBroke rebuild 954 thread-img_20140723_185821624.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Got some parts in today and should be able to put it back together completely in the upcoming weeks.

Decided that once I'm done with the bodywork on the tank. I'll just drop it off at a local shop and have them spray it.

On other news I am having the worst time trying to get this think to run! After several short and crummy idles she just quit. After reading around and thinking about it I realized my map sensor was disconnected.

I reconnected it and hooked up the lap top but still diesels at best for 4 seconds. I swapped out the map sensor since I had an extra lying around but marginally better. This is very depressing since it ran like a beast b4 I took it apart. I'm going to grab some fresh gas tomorrow drain the tank and see what happens with some fresh 93 octane.

Very discouraged right now.

Quick Reply: TooBroke rebuild 954 thread