CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Thinking of buying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At that price, take her home...I will NEVER part with mine and she's approaching 40,000 miles..I have an 02..Best bike I've ever owned.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 PM

i think ironhead said it best when he said ...
Do it.....do it.....do it...do it....do it.....do it.....do it....do it.....do it....do it.....do it...do it.....
Do it.....do it.....do it...do it....do it.....do it.....do it....do it.....do it....do it.....do it...do it.....
i've a 03 one in repsol colours {dream machine paint job} and i love it
only problem is the missus wont let me out on ot enough

Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Too good to be true...

Sometimes in life, if something seems too good to be true, its likely is . I'm not saying your present opportunity is bad? I'm just saying you must be careful and take a thorough look before proceeding. Find out more history of this current owner & why he's selling??? On the safe side...I've own a 94 cbr900 for 5 years now & have seen multiple offers to make a switch to 929 or 954...but too date...I'm just very worry of OPP... You own your bike long enough to know everything about it...built confidence & trust. When you change, switch to a new(used) bike, you must start all over.

Check it out, inspect everything.....and see how much your getting for your 94'

Originally Posted by exz5string
I've been wanting a 954 for years, in my opinion they are the sharpest looking bikes on the road. Found a really nice looking one and wanted some current riders opinions before I drop the cash on it.

2003 with 13k/miles - Black/Titanium finish (love this color), improvements include Two Bros X-Metal muffler, R-K chain & sprocket, EBC Double-H brake pads, HealTech speedo healer and flush mount front signals. Right side fairing has damage, not broken just scuffs, but would want to replace. Still have stock rear fender and reflectors, for the most part this bike looks babied.

I can get it for $4,000 and I'm about to jump on it - thoughts?

I'll be moving up from my '94 900RR, love the CBR just time for an improvement

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM

So anything specific I should look for? Any typical issues related to the 954?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wear on the cable

Important to see if any wear on the meter cable. If tamper with?It's the cable from the meter to the side of forks. I have heard some dishonest owners will run miles & miles on a disconnected cable, keeping low mileage. then when selling, they'll screw cable back on...sucks but does happen. 2nd most important is alignment, is tue frame/wheels/ straight. You only can tell once you hit 70+ mph...not on windy day, Lightly let go handle bar & feel if bike swerves?? Words is hard to describe... but most seller will not let you test ride unless money in hand. It's buyers beware & go from your guy feeling...older age seller would be a mature owner, I guess. Good luck & hope this bike is what your looking for.

Originally Posted by exz5string
So anything specific I should look for? Any typical issues related to the 954?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Important to see if any wear on the meter cable. If tamper with?It's the cable from the meter to the side of forks. I have heard some dishonest owners will run miles & miles on a disconnected cable, keeping low mileage. then when selling, they'll screw cable back on...sucks but does happen. 2nd most important is alignment, is tue frame/wheels/ straight. You only can tell once you hit 70+ mph...not on windy day, Lightly let go handle bar & feel if bike swerves?? Words is hard to describe... but most seller will not let you test ride unless money in hand. It's buyers beware & go from your guy feeling...older age seller would be a mature owner, I guess. Good luck & hope this bike is what your looking for.

No speedo cables here guy.....