CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

So my bike wont start and before I go to the stealership I wanna get the opinion of some of you guys. So I bought a new battery and it turns over but it will not start. Every once and a while it sputters a little but never starts. Do you think it could be the spark plugs or what? Any info would be appreciated

Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Starting problems

check for spark.. but if it was my bike and i had to put money on it i would say spark plugs

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Make sure u hear the fuel pump cutting on also.....=-)

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES.. .i forgot..... but yes when you turn the key you should hear a whine of the fuel pump priming.. after it stops.. try to start it.. if it it is cranking good then you more then likely have a spark problem.. lift tank and air box and take one out.. more then likely fouled and smells like gas.. clean off and try to start it should have a spark if not or weak .. replace and try to start should fire up..if different results or problems occur keep topic updated

Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 AM

i don' know if you corrected your problem. But what i have found with Honda's sometimes is that you get carbon deposits in your combustion chamber. This carbon can get in between valve and valve seat, causing you to loose most of your compression in your cylinder...making the thing not start. It doesn't really make the unit stall, and then not start. For some reason it just happens out of no where. You ran it and parked it and left it over night. Then the next morning it won't start and you are there scratching your head!! But yes spark plugs could be the problem, but your bike uses Iridium Spark plugs which resist fouling compared to standard plugs which i see fouling on GSXR's. If you check spark and you got spark, and you check plugs and they appear to be ok....you may need to crank over unit with airbox lid off and try spraying brake cleaner down intake to try and soak and soften carbon, and maybe since this chemical is more flamable it will get unit started. if it starts give it gas and keep it running until up to operating temp. Also if this is what happens to you, i suggest going to your local marine dealership and getting a can of Mercury PowerTune. That stuff works great for removing carbon. You have to get unit up to temp, spray it in intake track while running until it is billowing out smoke. Stop unit and wait for alittle bit and start it up again to blow up all the carbon. But this is a suggestion or possible causes. Dealer won't find it right away, until they do a compression test and it looks like you have a dead cylinder and they are wondering why compression readings change from 0 to 50 to 150 to 0. Good luck man