Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Rider Need Help With New(Used)Bike

hows this bike comin along?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM

Were in Los angeles are you Located, im in South Gate California , im also new to this bike scene. i have a 02 954 rr, i need to do a tune-up on my bike and it seems you have learned alot, If you need a handjust to work on your bike i might be able to help, but im no mech, but ido things on my own i changed my brakes with the help of the forum guru's. and minor stuff. we might be able to go riding once you get that beast up and running, theres not alot of 954rr out here in LA so were one of a kind..

Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 PM

argh... can't post!!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 PM

don't know whats going on still, but i can't post very much. try pming me. bike is doing good. working on it this weekend again

Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM

it seems if i keep my post to 1 or 2 lines i can post things up. but i have to do it fast... very odd. South Gate is close to me. riding sounds like a plan in a couple of weeks. any help on a street fighter headlight setup would be great!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM

how is that bike coming along?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:19 PM

+1 ^^^^^

Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM

Sorry it's been awhile since I posted about the bike. I took a week off to visit family and haven't been able to work on it now for a steady month. I have a lot of parts ordered including a streetfighter style headlight setup, new rear cowl, rear bike stand, bar ends, frame sliders and a ton of bolts, washers, stays and other various needed items. I managed to patch up the hole on the stator that was my biggest concern, but unfortunately it appears some of the bolt mounts are stripped and do not tighten completely, so I'm going to patch it like no tomorrow and to hell with how it looks. It will run, hold oil and be sexy anyway for being a 954.

My latest issue happened when trying to adjust a few things on my air intake... I tightened down the bolts for the front of the gas tank and when I went to take them out. *pop* both of them snapped off right where they connect to the frame... I have some new ones on the way (hopefully for this weekend) and I have the means (and help) to remove the old bolts. Yay. I also ordered the sleeves that they are supposed to go in along with new rubbers so they will be better protected against any rub from the tank.

Currently the only things I need are front mirrors and turn signals. If I knew the bolt mount size I could jsut buy some universal ones to install, but I need to look it up in the manual and check the bike this weekend. Any suggestions on some good universal mirrors or turn signals that will mount to a 954?

Furthermore, I've found some decent gear online, but am also going to look at some used stuff my friend has left over. Please check the links out and tell me what you think of the gear / pricing. I'm a pretty slim fella, about 5'10" 160lbs. So I'm not exactly what size jacket would fit me, but I expect about a 32 since I've tried a few on like that and they were fairly tight, but not to tight. At least they wouldn't balloon up like a parachute when riding. As for gloves, I believe I have a pair of those picked out too, but I can't recall the names of them. Still don't know what I'm going to do in teh way of a helmet, I don't want to order one online unless I find it in a shop and love it and want to find a better price somewhere. I have a pretty small melon, any ideas what type of helmet gives good protection, comfort and doesn't cost as much as my left.. er leg?

here are the links:

Jacket: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ml#sizingchart
Boots: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-....html#shipping

Also, I am looking for tires still if anybody has some good front / rear tires they are looking to get rid of.

Thanks much!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Sounds like your on the move with the bike....but dont buy your gear from that site those prices are on the high side.Try www.newenough.com prices are unbeatable and customer service is top notch.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the suggested website. I checked it out and they have the exact same jacket and boots for the exact same price as the other site. I've checked a few other sites and found them for as high as $129, but $84 is the lowest I found. I haven't checked out any other prices on the site you said, but i'll be sure to have a good look around.

Any other suggestions for boots out there? Anybody know of some really comfortable gear?