New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new rider and want to buy a bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rider and want to buy a bike

well i live in southern cali and i already took the msf class have very little riding experince
want to know if i should buy a new 2006 honda cbr 600rr, cause i love that bike, just want
to know if thats a good idea or not?

Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new rider and want to buy a bike

Bikes are a personal thing, only advice I can give with regard to someone new to bikes, is that because your new to bikes, there is a BIG learning curve, even parking the thing can get a bit iffy, so there is a higher % that your going to drop it at some stage (yeah I know it can happen to all and sundry) So why not spend your $'s on a good 2nd hand example. But that's up to you, welcome to the world of bike riding, keep it rubber side down.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 AM

I Totally agree with pacemaker on the buy a nice used one 1st. Because if you go out and buy that smooth looking ride and stop off at your local McDonalds or whatever, park the bike and as you are walking away hear that horrible but familiar sound <Thud/tang> and look back to see your brand new baby just fell over and scratched her beautiful face all up, you WILL be alot more saddned than if its a nice used one. It happened to me on my first bike. Once when it was parked (My lack of experience was to blame of course, I parked it incorrectly) and the 2nd time I was going down my gravel driveway and, once again my lack of experience was to blame, I hit the rear brake to hard, did a nice little wipe-out and scratched the side ferring up a bit. If it had been some gorgeous brand new bike I would have been extremely heated. I was still bummed but...not as bad. It's up to you though. Another thing about buying a nice used bike, you save alot of $ which you can spend on nice riding gear, Mods, and customizing to really make the bike "yours". (Good way to get familiarized with the mechanical side of your new toy too.)

Congrats on joining in on the fun by the way, stay safe and have fun!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:31 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Sit on a few before you make a decision....looks don't always give you what you'll need.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:16 PM

thanks for all your support, today i went to the dealership and sat on all the bikes honda, suzuki
yamaha, and i sat on a 05 honda cbr 600rr it felt sweet!, just want to know if 8100 otd with a helmet is too much? thanks again for your support!

Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 PM

I'd recommend a used bike. Under 80bhp.

And you need more than a helmet...

helmet
gloves
CE armored or leather jacket
CE armored or leather pants
boots

They'll pay for themselves the first time you lowside on gravel.