New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Rider, What Bike to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider, What Bike to buy?

I am a new rider, learned on a 250cc (two weeks in a lot, PA State Safety Program). I am looking at the CBR600 or CBR1000. Of course, I have no real experience, but I really like the CBR1000 (looks, felt Ok when I sat on it for about 30 minutes). I plan to ride it in a parking lot for about a month, before taking it on the streets etc. I am not looking to race, do trick etc. I am 35 and basically always wanted a bike, looking to go on back raods (there are many where I live) and wanted to get something that I liked to do casual riding.

I have gotten both pos and neg feedback about the CBR1000's power, speed coupled with my inexperience etc. I just wanted to get some more feedback before buying the bike. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Default RE: New Rider, What Bike to buy?

My 1st bike was an F4I and I think it was a perfect first bike. It was fairly light, and very fast. I was able to keep up with most 900's or so beacuse with a F4 you can wack it full throttle and no worries about the front end comming up unless you clutched it or "bounced"it For me, that instilled ALOT of confidence beacuse a rear tire pushing out from under you when you arent expecting it is damn scary for a new rider.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:44 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

I learned on a 250 too....some men have a problem saying that....be glad you don't!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 PM

man, eddie that's a nice bike you have....

Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 PM

Sorry Evan, was checking out Ed's scoot and didn't give you any feedback on your question. I have an 06 1krr and hadn't owned a bike for many years prior to getting it. So although I had lots of experience riding, it sure had been a while. I am completely satisfied with my decision on the the 1000. My only question for you would be can you exercise wrist restraint while you are building your skills. The 1krr behaves very nicely, and you can stay under 5000 rpm in most routine driving situations. I rode to work today and never got over 5000, maybe 5500 rpm. Granted I was in heavy traffic, but I still got up to speeds of 75. The bike also has a ton of torque at low rpm, which makes it very user friendly. Sounds great right, crack the throttle in any of the first 3 gears, and you will be looking at the sky. The 1krr also feels very neutral with regard to handling, almost point and shoot. Its very stable and IMO wouldn't be a bad bike for a new rider, provided they respect it. Unlike the 600's, you do not have to run high rpms to have power, so to me, that makes the bike a lot easier to ride. Which ever bike you get, you won't go wrong. All Honda sports are great bikes, whether you are a rookie or a veteran. Good Luck to you and let us know what you get.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:17 AM

if you decide on the 1000 make sure you are ready for it. do you really think you are going to stay in the parking lot for a month or two???? if it was me, the first or second day, i would say, i am ready to venture out onto the back roads, just for a short ride.. so be carefull/ also , where in pa are you located??? i am near york, pa

Old 06-10-2006, 07:36 AM

Thanks AZ! I am still trying to get used to the way it rides with the stretch, but comming along. I have a question for you, How do you like that windscreen you are running? I have tried one aftermarket already and the "buzz" off it was drivin me nuts, so the one one my back is actualy the factory one installed with the inside blacked out. ( I never could look thru it much anyway lol)
I dont remeber what kind I tried...but man, that thing drove me nuts for two days before i took it off and tossed it sportech i think it was?
Thanks,
Eddie

Old 06-10-2006, 11:33 AM

welcome

Old 06-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Thanks imaCBRin,

I live in Philly,...and yes I plan to ride in a parking lot for about a month. For one, the Safety class really does not prepare you (IMO) to ride a more powerful bike in trafficv, but more or less gives you the basics. So I need to get a handle on the bike itself before I add the additional pressure of traffic etc. Two of my weakest areas are rolling on the throttle when turning and smooth shifting, I need to nail these skills down before entering traffic etc.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:36 PM

Rolling on throttle from turning was my biggest problem as well Evan (sitting at a stop sign for a tight right turn) But once i realized to trust the bike wasnt going to push out on me and I could lean safely...that got ALOT easier. IMO if you turn your attention toward trusting your bike and always looking THROUGH the turn, that will make a night and day diffrence with less time invested.

Quick Reply: New Rider, What Bike to buy?