CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Installed secondary cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed secondary cooling fan

I picked up a stock 954 fan from a wrecked bike in Florida for $11 total.
This is a great addition to the bike. I've been out in moderate traffic and the bike stays under 200. Some people may not think it's necessary but on 100 degree days I'd rather not wait till the main fan kicks on while sitting in traffic. I did not alter the stock fan/system in any way.
This was easy to install. I have a switch up by my controls and a relay under the tank. I had everything but the fan in my garage so my total cost on this project is $11...
The mounts were fabricated from steel strapping left over from a construction project.
The relay is a standard Ford part.
I did not take pictures while installing the fan. Sorry guys.
But for anyone who is concerned about the temperature of their bike, and I know there are many of you out there, this was a cheap and easy solution.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 PM
VP
Default RE: Installed secondary cooling fan

that's cool good job man... so you can flip it on whenever you want? if so, what kind of temps are you turning it on at and how good does it do at keeping the temp down?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds easyer just to add a manual switch to the stock existing fan

Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM

Yes, there is an on/off switch, which is only active when the ignition is on.
On warm days I'll activate the fan when coming into slow traffic. The fan does a good job of keeping the heat down. I've not been over 200 so far. Average temp in traffic is about 190. It's not as effective as being on the exit side of the radiator but it certainly helps considerably. The key is to turning it on before you need it and it'll keep the heat down rather than reducing the temp.

I chose to add a secondary fan so I would not mess wtih the stock system.You could add a switch to the stock fan.... but then the activation of the fan would be dependant of you hitting the switch.. wouldn't you feel like a dumbass if you overheat your motor becauseyou forgot to turn the fan on?

Old 09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CBRinPDX

Yes, there is an on/off switch, which is only active when the ignition is on.
On warm days I'll activate the fan when coming into slow traffic. The fan does a good job of keeping the heat down. I've not been over 200 so far. Average temp in traffic is about 190. It's not as effective as being on the exit side of the radiator but it certainly helps considerably. The key is to turning it on before you need it and it'll keep the heat down rather than reducing the temp.

I chose to add a secondary fan so I would not mess wtih the stock system.You could add a switch to the stock fan.... but then the activation of the fan would be dependant of you hitting the switch.. wouldn't you feel like a dumbass if you overheat your motor becauseyou forgot to turn the fan on?
very good point but personally i think i would feel the heat, and second it's always in the back of my mind about how hot it gets in traffic so i would just hit that switch as i get to 200.... but i understand and see your point