CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

How much would you pay for an 02 954rr with engine damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well. imo, its not worth it for what is seems your needs are. if your looking to make a custom bike and put money and time into it then its a perfect project bike to spent LOTS of time AND money on. Then having the satisfaction of your own bike but with you asking what its worth its not. By the time you were to get this bike back to running your going to have to out atleast a total of 4000$ atleast.. just parts if, the engine is as bad as they say, including gaskets and everything can run 2500-3000$.. thats if your doing the labor yourself. expect another 2500$ if not. id look at what other 954rr's are selling for in your area and weigh the options. 4-5k for a used bike in good condition you can ride right away or 4-5k for a used bike that your gonna have to wait to ride. not to mention seats windscreen fairings brakes tires bent rims brake lines rotors bearings fork seals wire harness. the possibilities of all these things needing to be replaced because its been sitting and theres no history are all factors.

I rambled sorry, either way best of luck with the decision.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply man, I was looking to just purchase a used engine, they go for $1100 shipped, so it would be a running 954 for $2200. The only thing is that it has a salvage title so I cant resell it for whatever money I throw into it.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

are you really looking to re-sell though? i'd worry about that if you're going to flip it or ride it for a season then sell it. if you're going to have it for a few years, then there's nothing wrong with a salvage title bike. you'd experience more deprecaition on a clean titled 954 over the long run.

i bought bike with a blown up transmission and it had very bad piston slap as well (so it essentially worth nothing). just make sure you get a good motor off of ebay if you're going that route.

if you get it - buy it, bring it home - hook up a battery and start it. take a vid of it trying to run and post it. worst case scenario - you rough up an already junked motor.

depending on how bad it is, you could still part out the motor partially. if the head is good, you can get $150 , tranny could bring $100, clutch basket/pressure plate can bring some quick cash....

all of that you could write against the cost of the new motor. you need to be a mechanic to put a motor together. but if you have and air wrench and a knowledge of how bolts work, you can take it apart and sell parts of it. we'll help you

Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrice
are you really looking to re-sell though? i'd worry about that if you're going to flip it or ride it for a season then sell it. if you're going to have it for a few years, then there's nothing wrong with a salvage title bike. you'd experience more deprecaition on a clean titled 954 over the long run.

i bought bike with a blown up transmission and it had very bad piston slap as well (so it essentially worth nothing). just make sure you get a good motor off of ebay if you're going that route.

if you get it - buy it, bring it home - hook up a battery and start it. take a vid of it trying to run and post it. worst case scenario - you rough up an already junked motor.

depending on how bad it is, you could still part out the motor partially. if the head is good, you can get $150 , tranny could bring $100, clutch basket/pressure plate can bring some quick cash....

all of that you could write against the cost of the new motor. you need to be a mechanic to put a motor together. but if you have and air wrench and a knowledge of how bolts work, you can take it apart and sell parts of it. we'll help you
Thanks for the input. Now I wasn't gonna try and flip the bike to resell it, but it was gonna be a good project. I started thinking things well and I think I wont get it. Reason is guys, how much would it end up costing to make it look good. I've had a thing for a 954rr but I rather just wait and buy a bike that I really want. I want to get an 04-05 silver r1, or a yellow 08 1000rr, so I figured I will just wait for that. I still have my f2 to get me to work amd stuff and she's alot of fun. Thanks for the help though guys!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by campos_motorsports
Thanks for the input. Now I wasn't gonna try and flip the bike to resell it, but it was gonna be a good project. I started thinking things well and I think I wont get it. Reason is guys, how much would it end up costing to make it look good. I've had a thing for a 954rr but I rather just wait and buy a bike that I really want. I want to get an 04-05 silver r1, or a yellow 08 1000rr, so I figured I will just wait for that. I still have my f2 to get me to work amd stuff and she's alot of fun. Thanks for the help though guys!
i hear you. it's always wise to wait for what you want

Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Official Glory Detailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 54 engine and ecu and cluster. For sale ! 600 takes all !