CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Dreaded Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ahh man, i don't think there is any way to tell by the sprockets.... if you post a pic of the chain next to a dollar bill (for reference), i should be able to tell you if its a 520, 525, or 530 because i've got a 520 and a 530 on the bikes in my garage.

i'd just get the cheapest dino motorcycle oil i could find. you should be able to get some valvoline oil (not synthetic) for around $4 a quart at advanced or autozone. you got 4 quarts for $10?! thats a deal! you won't need another filter, just after 200 miles or so, pull the filter and dump all the old oil out of it, and re-use it and put fresh oil into it. just to be on the safe side since you've had the engine apart.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
ahh man, i don't think there is any way to tell by the sprockets.... if you post a pic of the chain next to a dollar bill (for reference), i should be able to tell you if its a 520, 525, or 530 because i've got a 520 and a 530 on the bikes in my garage.

i'd just get the cheapest dino motorcycle oil i could find. you should be able to get some valvoline oil (not synthetic) for around $4 a quart at advanced or autozone. you got 4 quarts for $10?! thats a deal! you won't need another filter, just after 200 miles or so, pull the filter and dump all the old oil out of it, and re-use it and put fresh oil into it. just to be on the safe side since you've had the engine apart.
Will do man Ill get a pic up tomorrow afternoon so if ya get a chance tomorrow you could take a look for me. Do u want me to just set it beside a dollar will or tape measure and how do u want me to place it?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM

ya, just go ahead and put a tape measure on it. that's an even better idea.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Okay so I took loose the clamps on the throttle body but it stoill isn't coming off. Anything special you have to do?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM

You have to put some *** behind removing those tb's. I pryed them out carefully and had to put some force behind it. I was assuming mine hadnt been removed in 9 years...

Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Okay sorry guys its been a few days since I've been on here. I got a few pic updates, I got the engine pulled and case split old trans out and new in, just waiting on some stretch bolts, washers, chain, and gaskets from bike bandit and I'll be ready to slap it back togeather and RIDE! YAY lol One question too, on alot of the bolts I have to tighten back down some torq down lower than 7lbs my wrench only goes down to 10lbs, and on the stretch bolts it says to first go to 7lbs I think on the first time but as I said I don't have a wrench that will go that low. But any ways here's some pics of the bike and old tranny and new one sitting in the case.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  16-1.jpg
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  15-1.jpg
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  13-1.jpg
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  12-1.jpg
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM

damn, that tranny took a beating. what do the cylinder walls look like?

as far as your question about the really low torque settings, what i did was went to harbor freight and tool to get a torque wrench that was in lbs/in. as opposed to lbs/ft. then multiply by 12 and you've got your lbs/in settings.... so 9lbs/ft. is 108 lbs/in. for example.

btw, the rest of it all looks good so far man. its coming together nicely. did you figure out the chain size?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 PM

damn, that tranny took a beating. what do the cylinder walls look like?

as far as your question about the really low torque settings, what i did was went to harbor freight and tool to get a torque wrench that was in lbs/in. as opposed to lbs/ft. then multiply by 12 and you've got your lbs/in settings.... so 9lbs/ft. is 108 lbs/in. for example.

btw, the rest of it all looks good so far man. its coming together nicely. did you figure out the chain size?

Suprisingly the cylinder walls don't look as bad as I thought they would, but could use to be honed, and cross hatched. I'm still deciding if I want to get into that or not while I'm waiting on Bike Bandit and the stretch bolts I ordered the 13th that still have not shipped yet. Oh and as far as the chain size I did some research while at work and found the measurements for the diff. pitches and it was a 520 so I ordered a new RK chain set anyways, I figured while I'm replacing **** I might as well do it right so all I have to worry about is fuel and oil for the summer lol

I did want to ask you how to tell if it was over rev'ed as you mentioned before. Thanks To All For Your Input And Opinions. I'll Get Some More Pics Up As It Comes Back To Life.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 AM

well, i'm sure that mine was over-revved due to the fact that my head ended up being worthless. the bike ran terrible, and after about 2 weeks scratching my head and thinking i messed up the valve timing... i finally decided to pop the valve lifters, 4 valves on the exhaust side and 6 valves on intake had their valve retainer clips popped out and the shims were off - center. i pulled the head and put a feeler guage on one of the actual valves <-- it was warped. so i bought a new head off of ebay and really went through it and made sure it was dead on, since then my bike has been running fine.

while you have the engine out of the bike, pull the valve cover off, and take a look around, make sure all the retainer, shims are correct.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM

well, i'm sure that mine was over-revved due to the fact that my head ended up being worthless. the bike ran terrible, and after about 2 weeks scratching my head and thinking i messed up the valve timing... i finally decided to pop the valve lifters, 4 valves on the exhaust side and 6 valves on intake had their valve retainer clips popped out and the shims were off - center. i pulled the head and put a feeler guage on one of the actual valves <-- it was warped. so i bought a new head off of ebay and really went through it and made sure it was dead on, since then my bike has been running fine.

while you have the engine out of the bike, pull the valve cover off, and take a look around, make sure all the retainer, shims are correct.

Okay and you're talking about the retainers on the top of the valve springs correct? And like I said the engine itself ran like a dream it was just the trans, only thing I see is some scuffs on the front and back of the walls which are typically normal for bike engines isn't it? It didn't smoke or anything like that at first start up of the day. A complete engine rebuild is something I would be alot more willing to do in the winter to give me a job to do in the garage away from the wife and kids every once in awhile. So I'm almost positive she'll run okay b/c it did before from what little I did ride and could tell.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Tranny Problem