CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Any experience with Pilot Power Road 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience with Pilot Power Road 2

I am on my second set of PP CT2's and I seem to get around 6k miles out of them. I would buy PP 2cts again, but the only time I really use the extra grip on the sides is when I ride the Tail of the Dragon (one week per year). I'm strongly considering the standard PPs this time. However, my friend just put a set of PP road 2's on his '06 CBR 1K. We rode yesterday for around 300 miles and he really liked them. My question is, can I get the same performance but longer life out of road 2's or should I just but the standard PP's or the PP 2ct's again? Anyone else use the road 2's?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Continental Attacks or Shinko 009/Apex and you'll be good to go. I've been on PP's and Metzers and for street riding they are too expensive and not necessary....

This topic has been brought up many times, its about preference. You will hear different answers from different people. There is no right or wrong tire...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
Continental Attacks or Shinko 009/Apex and you'll be good to go. I've been on PP's and Metzers and for street riding they are too expensive and not necessary....

This topic has been brought up many times, its about preference. You will hear different answers from different people. There is no right or wrong tire...
TX, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input. However, I was looking for someone who has experience with the Road 2 tire. I wouldn't say these tires are expensive at all. ronayers.com has great prices on their tires. $210.43 for a set of standard PP's, $244.48 for 2cts, and $258.xx for road 2's. These aren't anywhere near what I would call expensive. I also have a friend who has a tire machine, so mount and balance doesn't cost me a thing, just 30 mins of labor.

I want to know if the performance of the road 2's is good.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I have strictly run the 2 CT's and the Corsa 3's on the road. I was burning through tires during the riding season. (5k miles=6 rears and 5 front) I dont do Sport/Touring. Just the Sport aspect! I thought I would give the Road 2's a shot and see if I could get some mileage out of them....."I" did not like them one bit! The rear compound did not come to Temp without alot of encouragement. It spooled up way too easily. I could break the rear free at will. I could never get it to hook up on hard, straight line acceleration. Exiting corners from aggressive lean angles and a fistful of throttle was suicide! The front was good enough. Never pushed or tried to wash out. But to be honest....Never had the time to really pay attention to it due to trying to control the Rear! I put about 1k on the set and decided that a new set of Tires is cheaper than Plastics for the bike. I gave them to a friend with a FZ1. He loves them! They are sticky enough for him and a giving him great mileage. I dont know if it was a HP/weight issue, wheelbase....They were not for me and the 954. Your riding style may suit these tires better. But if you ride aggressively....DO NOT put these shoes on! I managed to get a set of the new PP Pures before public release. I am now on my 3rd set! Love these tires! Cheaper than the Corsa's, better traction and mileage than the old 2 CT's and at a price that wont break the bank. Once you figure out your pressures to run. They are Incredible! I am also a firm believer that a rider "MUST" trust his shoes. (Lean & Believe) If I cant rely on my shoes.....than the rest of the fun goodies. (Ie. Dampner, levers, pads. etc) are worthless!
PS. Remember. This is just my opinion! My Wife and the rest of my Friends say Im full of it.......But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....

Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a front put on.... i was thinking it was just a PP , didn't realize it was a PP road 2ct until i saw the tread. i figured i'd give it a try - and i didnt like the fact that i SLID the front going around some easy corners (i live in florida - corners don't get too intense).

edit - and that was after the 30 miles of break-in.

i rode right back to the dealership and had them put a regular PP on.

i'd just get the regular PP, but i'm with txmainevent, a lot of budget brands nowadays offer more than enough grip for our bikes. the next tires i'm using are the shinko 010 apex

Last edited by Conrice; 05-23-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Those were not poor tires! It was your Mad Skilz at backing that bad boy in!!! Dont be shy....If the front tries to washout on me.....Its like Bird Hunting! Everything is great until you step on a Rattlesnake! Then its time to pack it up and Go Home..........

Last edited by Ironhead; 05-23-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hahaha it was a 40-45 mph long wide corner. i thought i was loosing my mind until the next few corners mader the front do the same thing.

either way - its not a good feeling to be cruising and have the front start to slip. i wish i was gary mccoy, but im not...

Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
either way - its not a good feeling to be cruising and have the front start to slip. i wish i was gary mccoy, but im not...
Can I still have your Autograph? ; )

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Glad I found this post. I was about to order some road 2's for my buell, but not if they perform that badly. I have regular PP on the 954 and they are great except for in the rain. The rear has slipped on me several times while leaned over.

I too go to the dragon once a year, so the rest of the time I rarely get to use the edge of my tires. I think I'll order the power pures. I bit the bullet and ordered the cycle hill tire changer. No more wrestling with a tire on the ground!