CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 fresh oil looks and feels like chocolate milk. also loads up & runs rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 fresh oil looks and feels like chocolate milk. also loads up & runs rich

954, 28,000 miles. Seems to run strong. When chop the throttle a poof of black smoke comes out. When I rev the engine to around 9k rpm or accellerate really hard it blows out a BIG poof of black sooty smoke. If I hold the rpms up on the throttle it does not continue to smoke. The smoke does not smell like burnt oil at all. I checked the plugs and air filter. They are the original with 28,000 miles on them. The plugs looked really black, sooty and fouled. almost completly covered covered with soot literally. Except one, the one looks like a very, very light brownish color (border line ok, on the lean side). I'm guessing with 28,000 miles on the air filter its probably clogged. Its hard to tell cause I don't know what it looks like brand new. Main question is, can bad plugs and a bad air filter cause my engine to run lean and cause fuel to get in the oil?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked your Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Yes a couple times, I think I did it right. With engine off I pulled the little hose off the fpr and it was dry with no fuel in it. Is that the correct way? Also, I smell a strong fuel scent under the gas tank area but, I don't ever see ant fuel leaking.

Last edited by cBrentb; 07-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

chocolate milk -ish looking oil?

that doesn't mean there's fuel in the oil, it means there is water in the oil.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM

what's your coolant level?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:22 PM

I havnt checked the coolant level in several days. I'll check when I get home after work today. It does not smoke white at all though. At 6 pm yestetrday I checked the oil level at work. It looked normal and at the correct level. On the way home aftrer work I decided to run it a little hard on the interstate for about 15 -20 miles to see if it would show signs burn of passing oil through the rings. I did sorta what you would do in a engine "break-in" procedure. Went through every gear up to 9-10k rpms then let off the throttle so it could engine brake back down to lower rpms. Then I stopped to rev it a couple times around 9k. It just blew a really BIG poof of black smoke, as I held the rpms steady for about 5-6 seconds at 4-5k it did not smoke at all. Just the initial blip of the throttle and hard chopping of thethrottle did it poof black smoke. Really sooty looking stuff. I've drained the coolant once and refilled it with distilled water and also the oil has been drained through a fine filter and both have no signs of contaminating each other.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
I havnt checked the coolant level in several days. I'll check when I get home after work today. It does not smoke white at all though. At 6 pm yestetrday I checked the oil level at work. It looked normal and at the correct level. On the way home aftrer work I decided to run it a little hard on the interstate for about 15 -20 miles to see if it would show signs burn of passing oil through the rings. I did sorta what you would do in a engine "break-in" procedure. Went through every gear up to 9-10k rpms then let off the throttle so it could engine brake back down to lower rpms. Then I stopped to rev it a couple times around 9k. It just blew a really BIG poof of black smoke, as I held the rpms steady for about 5-6 seconds at 4-5k it did not smoke at all. Just the initial blip of the throttle and hard chopping of thethrottle did it poof black smoke. Really sooty looking stuff. I've drained the coolant once and refilled it with distilled water and also the oil has been drained through a fine filter and both have no signs of contaminating each other.

doesn't necessarily have to smoke in order to have oil mixed with water.

i don't see how you can say it looks like chocolate milk - but there's no contamination. i mean, obviously, there has to be some sort of contamination. gas and oil doesn't look milky, it looks like oil, just very thin and it really smells like gas.

can you take a picture of the oil? there's a few ways water can get into the oil and not smoke.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Ok, let me back up. Now that I recall,The oil looked light brown through the window before I drained it. Then after I drained it out its blackish dark brown and is nearly thin as water. It smells a little bit of fuel. No viscosity at all, the oil is a week old. Its full synthetic 5-40 rotella.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 PM

oh... okay then.

totally different story then.

it would be gas in the oil.

i'd start out with compression test

Last edited by Conrice; 07-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. Anymore help, suggestions, ect from anyone is welcome.

Quick Reply: 954 fresh oil looks and feels like chocolate milk. also loads up & runs rich