Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 honda CBR954rr clutch noise

I have no idea what this noise it please help I posted a video

Old 06-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

there's a whole lot that's not good there. as far as the clutch - i know it gets a little louder - but i have no idea what would cause that. you said it's a bored and worked motor, what has all been done on it? even when you revved it near the end with the clutch pulled in, something was off about the motor.

tell me more about what's been done to the motor.
what mods, who built it, how many miles before rebuild, how many miles since rebuild, any dyno time, has it always made this noise since rebuild? have you drained the oil, pulled the clutch cover and looked,etc.?

any and all info will help.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM

The power commander 3 came off of the velcrow and messed up my A/F ratio so I'm running fairly rich that's why it sounds weird and I know the clutch basket needed to be replaced. That's the slight tapping sound but I need to know what the friction"ish' sound

Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM

do you notice ANY fluctuation in rpms when you let the clutch lever out? all that happens is that the clutch plates go together and that shaft starts to spin. could it be that bearing that the shaft rides on? maybe it's something to do with the basket and the friction plates. i have no idea.

but i do know that i'd pull the clutch cover, pull the clutch apart and put it back together as the manual shows. you said it's at a shop, is it the same shop that put it together?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 PM

The motor was swapped from 03 cbr954rr rebuilt after 13k miles and now total it has about 27k all it has is power commander 3. Full yoshimaru exhaust all the way to the block. I bought the bike bored so I don't know anything about the internals. How and when will I be able to post pictures?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 PM

The noise stops when the clutch is disengaged the noise starts when the clutch is about 3/4 of the way engaged and if I let the clutch go quickly it will die even if its in neutral.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MattBorg
The noise stops when the clutch is disengaged the noise starts when the clutch is about 3/4 of the way engaged and if I let the clutch go quickly it will die even if its in neutral.
but the bike doesn't try to move at all does it? - when you let the clutch out fast

so, you swapped the motor out long ago, and it ran fine until a little while ago?

Last edited by Conrice; 06-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Sorry I didn't reply I was eating dinner, I doesnt try to move when its in neutral but when I put it in 1st and let go it try a to move and it will if I give it gas but I know from pervious experience that you don't drive another inch unless your positive its not going to mess up anything l. And I have no idea what this is but I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with the motor its self because when pull clutch in the noise subsides.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Idk if my phone messed up or if its still being processed by the moderator or whatever but I coulda swore I posted it already I said the bike moves when it's not in neutral but if you click it down and go to first gear and let the clutch out a little bit it will try to move but died because you give it no gas if you leave it in first and start it and give it gas while you let go the clutch it will moveeverything was fine and nothing was wrong with it other than the clutch basket that was the only thing that was wrong with it all it was doing was making a little tapping sound.I was on my way to the car show when it started making this noise and I pulled over no more than 50 feet after that noise. you can also ask me a whole bunch of questions I'll be more than happy answer I just need to know what's wrong with my bike I'd rather not pay $75 to know what might be wrong with it and have to wait weeks to buy parts rather than know what's wrong with it now or the park take them down to the shop and have them fix it for that "small fee"

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM

i've rebuilt a couple of 954 motors - all of which i bought with problems, but they didn't sound at all like that... if it were me, i'd just pull the clutch apart, inspect it, and rebuild - hoping i didn't hear it after i put it back together. not sure if it could be that transmission bearing or not..

did you get an oil light by chance? i doubt it since the outer basket runs it - and that is ALWAYS turning with the motor - so i don't think that's it.

how hard do you ride it?

and i know you said its running rich, but that really sounds like a misfire to me or something. that doesn't sound like an i4 should when you rev it near the end.

if you can't work on it yourself, i'd just let the shops have at it. hopefully it's something that is not all that complicated - but i don't know. at that point, you have to sort of trust the shop.

come back and let me know what they say it is.

Quick Reply: 2003 honda CBR954rr clutch noise