CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

03 954rr 21k for 4g? What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 03 954rr 21k for 4g? What do you guys think?

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

Do you know anything about checking for damage on a used bike? If not, then you might want to stay away from one unless you're just determined to get one.

One of my buddies got an 02 Gixxer 600 for like $4200 ($6k bike) from a used bike dealership (pretty good price he thought, maybe it was just sitting there for a while and they wanted it out of there), road it home, really like it a lot. For about a month. Then he noticed the forks wouldn't twist all way in to the left for some reason. So we started looking a little closer, and realized that there was a small dent in the right side of the gas tank that was from thehand brake. Turns out the forks where bent during an accident and the used bike dealership (can't say which until the trial is over) he bought it from didn't replace the forks, they twisted them as straight as they could. After another week or so we noticed it was leaking fluid from the forks all over the tires and he couldn't ride the bike without replacing the tires and brakes on the front. Dealership said go screw yourself you dropped the bike, but he hadn't. Dealership refused to pay for any of the damage, and he had to bring up a lawsuit against them, asking for payment to repair or replace the bike and for putting him in physical harm by not telling him the bike was not in riding condition when he bought it. This has been going on for quite a while now with no result. Just a reminder, even the most honest looking, professional person could screw you over without hesitation if it betters them in some way. In this case, a bike that should have been salvaged or taken off the street has been handed down to an unsuspecting person.
the sad part about that situation is simply that gixxer forks in working condition are
a dime a dozen

Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 AM

I've been looking for an '02 or '03 CBR954RR lately myself (I hear they're more comfortable for longer rides than the '04 1000RR), and most of the bikes I've found in the Houston area are going for $6000-$7500 (blue-book value is about $6500 for an '03 I think), depending on miles, condition, extras, etc. If the bike is in good shape, has been maintained, and hasn't been wrecked, that's a hell of a deal for $4500. But be careful... my first bike was damaged, but the guy I bought it from was honest with me about every issue the bike has had and we negotiated a fair price considering I had to order parts to fix some things. Look everything over REAL careful. Look first for noticeable cosmetic damage... scratches, dents in the gas tank, etc. If you don't see anything, keep looking. One bike I looked at, everything looked fine (fresh paint) but after I noticed a small scratch on the right clip-on,we started to notice more and more things that you could tell were repaired (the repairs were very well done, fortunately a friend of mine has an eye for small details) and realized the bike had been wrecked and the guy had lied to me, told me it had never been laid down. Like someone said earlier, people will tell you whatever they think you want to hear if it will make them better off. For $4500 I would be skeptical, but it's possible there's nothing wrong with that bike.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 AM

if it was me i would take the plastic off of it there and look from the front to back (forks, frame, subframe, oil pan, valve covers, engine covers, swingarm, and wheels) trust me if it was wrecked u wouldnt really notice to much until the plastic is off cuz its easy to order new plastic. check the subframe to make sure its not tweaked, look for dime size dents in the from, dime size dents on the wheels, and make sure everything operates right(rolls wit no bindin, front end goes from left to right wit no bindin, no bends in any tab that holds the body work togather). trust me if u wanna know the history as much as possible tear the fairings off cuz those are only covers for damage. just my opinion. oh yeah i got 22k on my bike and i will not get ride of it period, if someone ask i tell them yeah u can buy for 20,000! but these bikes will run likea champeven wit 20k+ on them.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: rmr1923

I've been looking for an '02 or '03 CBR954RR lately myself (I hear they're more comfortable for longer rides than the '04 1000RR), and most of the bikes I've found in the Houston area are going for $6000-$7500 (blue-book value is about $6500 for an '03 I think), depending on miles, condition, extras, etc. If the bike is in good shape, has been maintained, and hasn't been wrecked, that's a hell of a deal for $4500. But be careful... my first bike was damaged, but the guy I bought it from was honest with me about every issue the bike has had and we negotiated a fair price considering I had to order parts to fix some things. Look everything over REAL careful. Look first for noticeable cosmetic damage... scratches, dents in the gas tank, etc. If you don't see anything, keep looking. One bike I looked at, everything looked fine (fresh paint) but after I noticed a small scratch on the right clip-on,we started to notice more and more things that you could tell were repaired (the repairs were very well done, fortunately a friend of mine has an eye for small details) and realized the bike had been wrecked and the guy had lied to me, told me it had never been laid down. Like someone said earlier, people will tell you whatever they think you want to hear if it will make them better off. For $4500 I would be skeptical, but it's possible there's nothing wrong with that bike.
hey dude i am in spring...if you wanna ride look me up

Old 06-02-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: joey954rr

cool, i'm in Lubbock for the next year, i'll be graduating next may. i've just been looking for bikes in the Houston area rather than here in Lubbock since my parents live in El Campo. i'm coming down there for Father's Day weekend and hope to come back to Lubbock with an '02 or '03 954RR (crossing my fingers that i can find something worth buying by that time, if not then i'll just have to wait a while longer).

Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: rmr1923

cool, i'm in Lubbock for the next year, i'll be graduating next may. i've just been looking for bikes in the Houston area rather than here in Lubbock since my parents live in El Campo. i'm coming down there for Father's Day weekend and hope to come back to Lubbock with an '02 or '03 954RR (crossing my fingers that i can find something worth buying by that time, if not then i'll just have to wait a while longer).
somebody say love connection?[sm=drlove.gif]

Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 AM

dude pm me your number and i might sell you mine ..i have on 02 954 needs some cosmetic work but runs like a champ

Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 AM
VP

Bob joe man that's some powerful stuff +1 on all that

<<<<<*******

Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 AM

dude pm me your number and i might sell you mine ..i have on 02 954 needs some cosmetic work but runs like a champ
i sent you a pm with my email and phone number. right now i'm not so sure if i'll be buying a bike any time soon. i had some cash saved up for a down payment (interest rates on used bikes are ridiculous), but just last week some ******* hit my fiance's car and took off. we didn't get his license plate number, so we're having to foot the bill, and i was driving her car so lucky me, i get to pay for it (insurance deductible is still $1000).

http://bp1.blogger.com/_0n1E1TWJa4c/...h/DSC05793.JPG

send me an email and when we come down to Houston in a couple weeks i might want to come check it out if you're still interested in selling it