CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

loweing without losing handling???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loweing without losing handling???

I've ridden a lowered R6. I alos rode it 2 hourse earlier before we lowered it.

Here's the difference at 2 inches.

When you're going into a slow speed turn (city type riding), it's like you're on a friggin' balance beam trying not to fall off. You go to make a turn and it feels like the front wheel is going to tuck under you. Yeah, you can get used to it but...

Never ridden a stretched bike. I'm like D.O.T. man, I've got standards.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bignibb

I'm at the point where I am will to drop it!

every bike I have owned has been lowered except for the 87vfr and the 88fzr other than that they all have been adversly changed and handling really sucked, so much that I kept doing it to every other bike I bought!
my guess is you ride striaght up most of the tyme n to bike night. I ride in the mountains and the twisties, where you actaully can use these bikes for what they were designed to do. I am no engineer but I know enough to know what affects a bike. You lower it, it reduces lean angle, changes the rake of the forks, which affects steering. For your 2" lowered bike to be able to lean as much as mine you would have to raise your pegs, n pray your exhaust dont scrap.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM

+1...it's common sense...lowered bikes have parts closer to the ground...by whatever you lowered it by...you have a better chance of scraping everything...the bike was designed a certain way for a reason, to be all around a good bike on highway and twisties, and I am sure everyone has ridden on both. A stretched and slammed bike will do better in straight lines/highways, a stock bike will do better in the twisties. I will not ride a lowered bike for several reasons, but being 6'3" is the biggest concern. I also know it changes the way the bike handles...same as a car. $.02

Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue Ridge Park Way, Shenandoah< and basically any curvy road i can find.

im not really sure what a bike night is, becausei ride for my enjoyment and not to sit around and talk about the last time i road my bike.

i do ride in straight lines! curvy ones, zig zags, and in circles(maybe those circles might be around you LOL)

now KidCr3nshawnot every lowered bike handles the same and how you road that R6 may not be how it behaves when im on it.

My 929 is set up so that the drop is progressive from the fron to the back. The front has more of a downward slope thus making it a lil harder to whillie but easier to get out of the hole.

now everyone with a stock bike and the muscles to do sogo lean your bike on its side until it touches the foot peg. now check the contact patch of the tire. now stand you bike back up. get all your gear on and take it for a ride and have a friend take a picture of you leaning that far over without crashing.

"Never ridden a stretched bike. I'm like D.O.T. man, I've got standards." but doesnt make them high though lol

which part of my exhaust should i worry about scraping? there is a rear foot peg back there.

im telling you you will lose tire traction before the lean angle would come into play.

but anyways beleive what you will and ill ride like i ride.

the difference between us is i can ride my bike with it being lowered as if it was made that way and i can ride yours too!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM

Blue Ridge Park Way, Shenandoah< and basically any curvy road i can find.

im not really sure what a bike night is, becausei ride for my enjoyment and not to sit around and talk about the last time i road my bike.

i do ride in straight lines! curvy ones, zig zags, and in circles(maybe those circles might be around you LOL)

now KidCr3nshawnot every lowered bike handles the same and how you road that R6 may not be how it behaves when im on it.

My 929 is set up so that the drop is progressive from the fron to the back. The front has more of a downward slope thus making it a lil harder to whillie but easier to get out of the hole.

now everyone with a stock bike and the muscles to do sogo lean your bike on its side until it touches the foot peg. now check the contact patch of the tire. now stand you bike back up. get all your gear on and take it for a ride and have a friend take a picture of you leaning that far over without crashing.

"Never ridden a stretched bike. I'm like D.O.T. man, I've got standards." but doesnt make them high though lol

which part of my exhaust should i worry about scraping? there is a rear foot peg back there.

im telling you you will lose tire traction before the lean angle would come into play.

but anyways beleive what you will and ill ride like i ride.

the difference between us is i can ride my bike with it being lowered as if it was made that way and i can ride yours too!
Now most of that I can agree on :lol: but I have dug a peg into the pavement n lowsided (Deal's Gap), and thats the only reason the rear tire gave way. Grant it at the tyme I wasnt hangin off like I should have (was being lazy) but I seen ppl dragging pegs and/or toes n the tires holding just fine lol. You must not be too far from me by where you like to ride.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

I'm in Virginia and I ride that section of the mountains. Deals gap is on my list of things to do, I want to spank that dragon. lol

I have scraped pegs and done rubbed toes as well. that little piece on the bottom of the foot controls is no longer there on the right side.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:09 PM

I'm in Virginia and I ride that section of the mountains. Deals gap is on my list of things to do, I want to spank that dragon. lol

I have scraped pegs and done rubbed toes as well. that little piece on the bottom of the foot controls is no longer there on the right side.

The dragon is awsome. Best 11 miles there is lol. I live in NW GA, I just a lil over 100 miles from it and surrounded by mountains. I love em even if I am just taking it easy.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM

wow!!!! i really didnt mean to start a huge battle here! all i wanted to know was the best way to lower my bike about an inch without a "serious" loss of handling.... so sorry for all the problems and arguments ive seem to have caused i was just looking for a simple answer. lol

Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: bobjoezx

just because you dont know it's changed your handeling doens't mean it didn't..

your right my bad i guess those 15,xxx some odd miles i have put on my 929 since i stretched it, i still dont kow how it "handles"
and PlayfulGod whats up with you and the bike night crap what buissness is it of yours were we ride our bikes and what we do with them? and "Grant it at the tyme I wasnt hangin off like I should have (was being lazy) but I seen ppl dragging pegs and/or toes n the tires holding just fine lol. You must not be too far from me by where you like to ride." lazy? sounds squidish

Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

lowering link and raise the fork tubes up into the triple tree and adjust tour dampening and rebound to make sure you don't botton out on a hard front brake job and that should do it.
don't worry about starting some pooo, I didn't have anything better to do, its so cold and there is still salt and sand on the road so I'm not going to chance dropping my dropped baby.

Quick Reply: loweing without losing handling???