CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

loweing without losing handling???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: loweing without losing handling???

well I actually purchased mine off e-bay from PPM and it was excelent quality and had a great finish.

the only thing that I can use to best explain the characteristics of a lowered bike is that its like imagine a guy on a bicycle that is regular size but 10 feet in the air and now imagine a guy on a regular bicycle, now imagine them both riding a blind S turn!

the idea I hope you get is the guy on the raised bike has to lean over further to make the same turn and has to maintain a certain speed to keep the bike from going over and that speed is more than the guy on the stock bike because his bike takes less time to return to an up right position.

if any of this makes sense them I doing good.

the other thing is a lowered bike gives a lower center of gravity plus more confidence for the rider, which increases in rider performance

and yes I lowered the front with just the forks being slid up, I also adjust the rebound and dampening to make it ride like it did before the shorter dampening and rebound.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off.... thanks for all the help, and sorry for all the newb questions.... But if i were to get a dog bone and lower the bike an inch, then drop the forks, how should i readjust the rebound and dampening if im 5'9" about 165lbs...???o yeah btw i def. gave you my vote for ride of the month... gotta support the 929s!!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM

I just had my bike raised back up to stock and will sell you the parts that came off of it...I am 6'3" and it was lowered an apparent 2" or so. I am not too sure what came off, but the guy said the parts were mine to pick up whenever I go get the bike. I will probably be doing this within the next two weeks if it gets nice out, otherwise it is going to sit at the shop for the rest of this month and the beginning of next month.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bignibb

well I actually purchased mine off e-bay from PPM and it was excelent quality and had a great finish.

the only thing that I can use to best explain the characteristics of a lowered bike is that its like imagine a guy on a bicycle that is regular size but 10 feet in the air and now imagine a guy on a regular bicycle, now imagine them both riding a blind S turn!

the idea I hope you get is the guy on the raised bike has to lean over further to make the same turn and has to maintain a certain speed to keep the bike from going over and that speed is more than the guy on the stock bike because his bike takes less time to return to an up right position.

if any of this makes sense them I doing good.

the other thing is a lowered bike gives a lower center of gravity plus more confidence for the rider, which increases in rider performance

and yes I lowered the front with just the forks being slid up, I also adjust the rebound and dampening to make it ride like it did before the shorter dampening and rebound.
nice theory. But its wrong. The lower a bike is to the ground the less it can lean. So the lowered bike will be scraping parts like a big ol fat harley while the stock height bike will be around the corner and gone. You all can lower you bikes. But please get the facts straight when telling everyone else and their brother it doesnt affect handling, when in fact it does.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 PM

it appears that everyone on this forum is a engineer lol

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Banned

just because you dont know it's changed your handeling doens't mean it didn't..

Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

well I guess this therory will be better, most rider can't ride like Nicky Hayden, and even with a lowered bike the tires will reach their lean limit and cause the bike to slide on its side before the lowering of the bike actually comes into play.

the benefit to the lowered bike in this therory is that with the bike being lowered, your knee will touch sooner thus stoping you from over leaning and causing the catastrophic aftermath we love to see in AMA racing.

now if your tires will ride on there side walls then you can throw out my therory but the bottom line is that the lowering of a motorcycle won't affect the adverage rider and I think the real issue here is the fact that the nay sayers here refuse to accept the fact that no matter how good they are, they are still just ADVERAGE!!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well I guess this therory will be better, most rider can't ride like Nicky Hayden, and even with a lowered bike the tires will reach their lean limit and cause the bike to slide on its side before the lowering of the bike actually comes into play.

the benefit to the lowered bike in this therory is that with the bike being lowered, your knee will touch sooner thus stoping you from over leaning and causing the catastrophic aftermath we love to see in AMA racing.

now if your tires will ride on there side walls then you can throw out my therory but the bottom line is that the lowering of a motorcycle won't affect the adverage rider and I think the real issue here is the fact that the nay sayers here refuse to accept the fact that no matter how good they are, they are still just ADVERAGE!!!!!
No I am sub average, but the fact still remains lowering a bike reduces its handling performance. Facts are facts, not just nay saying. How the rider rides would determine if they will actually notice the loss tho is agreed tho. But you dont have to be Nicky Hayden to notice it or to know it.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 AM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

No I am sub average, but the fact still remains lowering a bike reduces its handling performance. Facts are facts, not just nay saying. How the rider rides would determine if they will actually notice the loss tho is agreed tho. But you dont have to be Nicky Hayden to notice it or to know it.

so how many of our bikes have you riden?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

I'm at the point where I am will to drop it!

every bike I have owned has been lowered except for the 87vfr and the 88fzr other than that they all have been adversly changed and handling really sucked, so much that I kept doing it to every other bike I bought!

Quick Reply: loweing without losing handling???