Help Please!! Daily Driver No start. Im stuck Home! - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Old 04-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Help Please!! Daily Driver No start. Im stuck Home!

I got this 929 a few months back, it needed a LOT of TMs but started, drove and stopped so i got it.

I have giving it a decent going over and now it is my only vehicle. Yesterday i swapped out the warped rotors to get rid of a brake pulse and also took a stab at my intermittent headlight issue.

The headlight issue was the cut off for the starter, as a temp fix till i can order a new one i jumped the headlight wires so the light start on while the bike cranks.

I road the bike home, its a 30 min rid and half way there on the highway the bike just shut off. NO sputter or warning, just off.

Got a friend to bring it home and found that
the fuel pump will not prime thought he bike cranks fine

Digging into the harness i found that there is a plug under the seat in front of the ECU that was no connected to anything. It was wrapped in tape and there was green corrosion residue on the tape.

I am wondering if someone had removed something and bypassed it then the wire they used to bypass it finally corroded? I don't know. I will attach a pic of the connector.

I have no multi meter here to really start testing. Im hoping it is something simple.

I am a decent wrench, i build a lot of Honda hawks, but i am not great with electrical and am new to 929s and to FI bikes.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

Your picture did not show up....

Try bypassing the BAS, if it's not already. jump the outer terminals together and see if the pump primes. There it a 2 pin diagnostic plug on the harness by the ECU that is supposed to be not plugged into anything.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
Your picture did not show up....

Try bypassing the BAS, if it's not already. jump the outer terminals together and see if the pump primes. There it a 2 pin diagnostic plug on the harness by the ECU that is supposed to be not plugged into anything.
Thank you very much for the reply, The help is much needed and much appreciated.

Where is the BAS located and what does it look like?

The connector that is disconnected has 4 wires. Two red and two green if I remember right.

Also I am not sure where the fuel pump relay is.

Thanks again. hoping to get this solved in tome to take it to work tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

The BAS is under the tank, in front of the seat mounted on a bracket.

I can't think of what connector you are talking about. Post a pic that can be seen....
Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 PM

So my friend who is a great wrench, 15 year 929 owner and CCS national Expert SuperBike champ called me up yesterday with a wiring diagram and helped me go through it. It didn't take long with his skillset for us to get it narrowed down to the fuel cut off relay.

For now because i need the bike i have jumped out the relay while i wait for a new one.

They are not an easy part for me to find. Im going to NY this weekend to get this years racebike finished and hoping in sifting through the parts at the race shop i may be able to find on that could work.

Thnks for the help guys!

The wire that was unplugged was to the reg rect, at some point someone put in a system that bypassed the stock reg rect, we think system in order to provide some more power for the lighting setup they had in place. I plan to go through it and figure out exactly what they did and if i am comfortable keeping it.

I hate when people mess with the wiring and then don't put it back. Temporary changes are sometimes necessary to keep riding and to troubleshoot but you fix it right first shot!!! Just my opinion.