CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Bike overheating.. Im lost please help i will donate!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, very clean bike. We can help you but you have to be willing to give us good info to help you out.
There are 2 drains for the coolant, one on the lower right hand side on the water pump. The other is just above the coolant reserve tank cap.
There is a sensor on the front left side of the radiator (coolant temp sensor). Unplug it, turn the key on & touch it to the radiator. Does the fan come on? If so, bad sensor, if not then we need to check power to the fan. The sensor completes the circuit to ground when the coolant reaches a certain temp & allows the fan to come on.
There is a mounting bolt on the left side of the radiator & another on the bottom of the radiator. Remove the 2 bolts & lower the radiator on the left & push it a bit to the right to lower it off the mounting tab on the right. There is a black plug going to the fan, unplug it as well. There is a black wire with a blue stripe at that plug, check for power there with the key on as well.
Once the radiator is lowered the spark plug caps are behind it with white plugs going to them. Unplug them & pull the coils/caps out. Once they are out change the plugs.
Get back to us with the results of the tests.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 SiCk G
Thanks a lot guys for the feedback guys, I am willing to do anything.. Any chance you guys can post pictures as to where the fan wires are as where I have to put the ground wire ?? Cause I'm clueless with the bike..

P.S- i never cursed in the first place bro, scumbag for the dealers around here is understatement .. Put it this way... 120$ for a oil change... Enough said...

The reason I took it apart to paint it and after realizing how long it took me to put it back together I am not dealing with that **** again lol.

Pics please the offer is legit I'll pay someone to teach me how to fix this thing on my own..
Your original post says something about (a-hole) drivers. Although they may be, using that word may cause this entire thread to be deleted. I could care less, but someone may.

The switch is on the left side of the radiator, facing the engine. Ground the plug anywhere metal. The other wire is grounded on the radiator bracket. Ground the one from the harness. You may find a pic in the manual (link i sent you)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM

The switch is on the left FRONT side of the radiator. Toward the front wheel not the engine. Page 6-8 of the factory service manual. Pull that single wire off the switch & touch it to the radiator itself. With the key on & that wire touching the radiator the fan should come on if the rest of the circuit is good. The radiator fan plug is on the engine side of the radiator. That is were you test for power to the fan itself. Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM

My first post (post 11) said coolant temp sensor. It is the temp sensor for the fan, not the temp you see on the dash. Just trying to clear that up.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Project96
The switch is on the left FRONT side of the radiator. Toward the front wheel not the engine. Page 6-8 of the factory service manual. Pull that single wire off the switch & touch it to the radiator itself. With the key on & that wire touching the radiator the fan should come on if the rest of the circuit is good. The radiator fan plug is on the engine side of the radiator. That is were you test for power to the fan itself. Hope this helps.
yes, you are correct. Its on the outside of the radiator. I was going from memory.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Have fun with the plugs..... the best tools to use are the ones with the factory tool set and one of the magnetic telescoping rod. Search the forum for spark plugs 929 and something will come up. I might "mock up a plug change" for pics. I am out of state. Plugs are easy(steps wise) but a pain actually completing each step. Small parts in tight spaces, ignition coils on 1 & 4 are tight and have to be kind of worked out. I am not at home but when I do return home in a few days I will write up a detailed description and might throw some pics down.... I have done it a couple of times... and it is a pain....

Last edited by Trey929RR; 01-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 PM

So I took off the plastics, ready to start testing. Now the problem I ran into is finding this temp sensor anyone have a pic of it??

Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=74demon;1121564]first of all, watch the language. swearing is frowned upon. you should edit your post asap.
second, diagnose the problem on step at a time. first problem is no fans. its a simple check.
1. check fuses
2. check coolant level
3. make sure thermostat is working and the radiator is indeed hot
4. disconnect the switch on the left side of the of the radiator. ground that wire with the key on. fan comes on replace the switch. fan doesnt come on, check for power at the fan (switch still grounded). power there, replace fan. no power, see #

Just out of curiosity before I start going crazybripping apart sensors. Where would the fuse be located on this bike?? And which fuse is it??

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Update!!!!! Touched the wire against the radiator....fan went on!!!!!!!! So basically from my understanding it's a bad sensor???????? Where is the best place ton find a replacement??

Also when I started unscrewing the bold thatnthat wire is attached to which looks like the bad sensor watery looking fluids started dripping out of there.. What is that? And is it normal for it to spill out ?? Is that the sensor??

Last edited by 1 SiCk G; 01-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM

fuse box is under the front seat. its the fuse "E" labeled fan motor. if you ground that switch on the radiator, you can connect the two wires on the switch together with a paper clip, and the fan runs your fuse and wiring are good.

edit: but you know that already. if you post a picture, we can accurately tell you what the watery substance is.

Last edited by 74demon; 01-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike overheating.. Im lost please help i will donate!!