CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Test ride tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Test ride tomorrow

Told you its the rectifier. But the price is mind blowing! What with all those labour charges? They just need to remove two nuts, fix the wire and done. And I changed mine last year for the whole thing say in your currency around usd60. Please check again the whole deal dude!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the rectifier dinez74, but everything had to be checked to be sure. I hope honda checks everything thoroughly as well as I had a short in my fuse box that blew two recifiers, that the mechanics missed. Although they sit snug due to the plastic holder, the metal contacts were loose and that caused the circuit to trip.

Believe me dude, they are that expensive. In S.A. Rands. My rectifier cost me R850, then they gave me a long story about them checking the whole electrical system. I didnt know better and let them do it. They charged me R800 for labour!!! When I got home I checked the wiring on what they replaced, which was nothing. All they did was put on clips and plugged it in.

Damn stealerships, hate them.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:21 PM

I just want peace of mind knowing that Honda looked at the entire charging system.

At least i'm hoping they did.

The last Honda dealer I took my old, 600f2 to, which also had charging issues, they tested the system down to the volt. The mechanic called me up and actually told me which electrical point was working and which wasn't and how much charge it was actually making or not making. I was impressed. Sadly, that dealership now refuses to work on bikes older than 10 years.

I'm hoping this new dealership the bike is at, will work just as hard.

The mechanic at the old dealership did tell me that when rectifiers are changed, you also might have to change the wiring harness too. He said that is a common problem for people who work on their own bikes, if they don't check the wiring harness the problem can come back.

Thanks for the help Duke and Dinez!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Bike is done [&o]

Mechanic said the wiring harness was burnt and they had to replace it with a new one for around $26, no labor since it was just a plug in job.

New rectifier is in.

Total is around $276 not including tax

The bike still needs a new headlight, which has come in, they're just waiting to install it when I give them the word. I'm thinking I'll wait to have them install it since I need to wait for my next paycheck.

My wife has the final say. []

Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM

The headlight needs more parts [:@]

So the Honda guy is ordering them.

In the meantime he quoted me a labor charge to install the single, left headlight of $150

Is this reasonable?

The mechanic said it will take a couple hours to install and that they need to remove the front end of the bike.

I'm thinking it's only the front fairing. Sounds a lot to me. [&o]

Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM

150 for the labor charge only is alot MT. For an expert, removing the front, fixing the light and the accesories will take less than an hour actually.

Hope your wife is ok with all this expenses. Mine will not! lol

Old 09-06-2008, 03:56 PM

That's what I thought. I'll probably just take it to a smaller shop. I don't have the time or tools to do it

Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 PM

I picked up the bike today and the mechanic showed me the connectors for the rectifier and both connectors were burned/singed badly from the rectifier overcharging the battery. [&o]

Anyway, the mechanic told me everything runs well and he said "hopefully" the stator will run well too. He said they tested the old stator and new rectifier and both are fine.

Rode the bike home and first thing i notice is that the temp gauge needle swung all the way over to "HOT" and stayed there, even after the bike was off.

Also, now my tachometer doesn't work.

I think what happened was that the previous owner of this bike tinkered with the wiring when they removed the broken headlight (after the bike crashed).

When I first bought the bike, only the turn signal indicator lights worked.

Now...after taking the bike to Honda and having the mechanics try and install the new headlight, only to find they needed more parts, I think they must have touched the wiring for the tachometer and temp gauge. Also, none of the indicator lights work although the turn signal lights, the high beam headlight, the low beam, the brake light, etc...all STILL WORK.

As for the battery itself, after I rode the bike home and fired it up it started up instantly.

The bike has never done this before. I also tested the battery with the engine ON and it shows the battery is "Normal" at idle and will charge the battery at around 2,000 rpm!

Now, if only I can get them to fix my tachometer and temp gauge. [&o]

Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM

That's quite alot of things involved here MT. Tacho and the fuel gauge are important instruments but still can be manageable. The important problem had been solved. Atleast you can ride her with a peace of mind!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Yes, it felt good knowing the battery is being charged if I just rev it past idle.

That is how it should work!

As for the gauges, it's not the fuel gauge but the Temp. gauge and the tachometer that are broken.

The fan still kicks on when the bike idles too long so that's good.

Quick Reply: Test ride tomorrow