CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Test ride tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Test ride tomorrow

Cool man, I hope everything is fine. I know how dealers milk riders over here. I hope they are friendlier over there..

Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM

I took the bike in and had the chain tightened, the mechanic said yeah it was loose and now it seems perfect.

I also talked to him about the charging system and he said it sounds like my bike is fine.

So, after I got the bike worked on I did some freeway driving at around 5,000 rpm and when I tested the battery with the engine OFF, it showed a very very strong charge at 12.5 volts.

I then ran the bike how I normally ride, around 3500 - 4,000 rpm and then tested the battery with the engine OFF, and the battery was weaker, but still in the acceptable range of 12.5 volts I believe.

sidenote: Honda is also ordering a headlight assembly and headlight for my bike, since the last owner crashed the bike and the light broke. It came out to around $276 for parts alone! [:'(][:@]

At least I only paid $2,000 for this bike, as opposed to the price of a brand new 1000rr [&o]

Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah MT the headlight parts is expensive indeed. You had mentioned its the high beam headlight, I wouldn't worry that much since the other light is still there. I had changed the bulb to a 90watt (stock is 45watt) and its so good and bright; except it can drain out the battery fast.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Dinez,

You have two headlights right? Do both headlights go to high beam or just one?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Both MT.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 PM

thanks

Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM

(sorry this is long)

Okay, took it out again for a spin and after riding for about an hour I was idling at a traffic light and waiting for the red light to turn green, when it happens again!

The bike just died on me. I tried to start it and got a weak "chugga-chugga" from the starter.

So again, I rolled my bike to the sidewalk and went under a tree to sort things out.

Used my voltmeter to test the battery and with the engine OFF, it showed "normal" but the LED light that indicates the battery is "normal" was very faint or weak.

I tried to restart the bike after waiting 40 minutes, but there was not even a "chugga-chugga" this time...nothing.

Luckily there was a bike shop about a 1/4 mile away so I rolled/pushed the bike all the way there in the hot sun in full leathers. I have the bike in neutral and for some reason decide to try and start it when I was halfway to the shop and the bike started up no problem at all! THere was no weak "chugga-chugga" sound from the starter, it was like the battery was brand new!

When I get to the shop, the mechanic tells me it's probably because the bike was not in neutral when I tried to restart it. He said he thinks my bike is fine. When I get home, the battery shows an even stronger charge this time with the engine off.

But why did my bike die at the stoplight in the first place?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM

This is funny MT.

How is the battery connection head? Sometimes it can be faulty too. Try to replace it, won't cost much.

Sorry to hear you had to push her... Can't push start too?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 AM

Heh-heh the last time I tried to push start my bike I wound up dropping it in front of a bunch of tourists. [:@]

So no roll starting from now on!

But I did check the cables connecting to the battery and they are solid. Tight.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 AM

Man this is a strange one. Its baffling me. There seems to be no consistency to the problem thats why we cant pin point it. Are you sure that all of your wires leading to and from your stator (well....any wiring) to the battery are joined well and snug, as well as all of your fuses?

Thats the thing, if a battery is dead it simply wont charge on its own, even if you wait for 40 min on the side of the road. Maybe try to reenact what happened around the block where you live so you wouldnt have to push it far. Then while the bike doesnt want to start, dont push it anywhere but lightly tug on the wiring and try to start after every tug. If the bike starts then you know where its not making a good connection.

Flip man, Im sure this is damn frustrating...

Quick Reply: Test ride tomorrow