CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Questions 93-95 CBR900 owners about exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Questions 93-95 CBR900 owners about exhaust system

Hey members, I have Vance & Hines Bolt On right now. Sounds great but for christmas, i been wanting to go for a full system. Would a full system sound better? Anyone have experiences with a full system on a older 900rr. Any advice regarding installation. Looks fairly easy just replace the exhaust gasket. I now do have a K&N filter but do I need to get the carb jetted if i want a full exhaust system? What does jetting do to the carb? Can I still ride it if I don't jet it, just with the K&N filter.

Any tips is appreciate. Sounds dumb but I never went beyond a bolt on, never got around to it ($$$) this Christmas, the girls is putting in asking me what I want...if its not such a hassle to DIY,why not, but if its too hard, I'll go with something else...

Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to bikes, But yes a full exhaust will sound a little bit louder. Your replacing the restrictive stock exhaust with biggier pipes. I would replace exhaust gaskets if you go full exhaust.
As far as jetting goes it would be like putting bigger injectors on a car. Which means you will go faster and use more gas. Just a K/N filter and full exhaust will be good.

My 95 came with Muzzy full exhaust and K/N, Its runs great and sounds nice.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no you will actually have to rejet if you go with a full after market exhaust, what will happen is because of more air flow the bike will begin to start running leaner and you'll need the larger jets or you can damage your valves in the long run.. I check my book tonight but I know it something along that line...
anyway its a simple thing to do... you should head down to your local bike shop and this time of the year you should have no problem picking at couple brains in the parts department...

Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Is it something I can do myself? Sure, I've replace a few spark plugs, oil change, brakes, fluids....I have never touched the carbs ever...not even a carb cleaning. I know they sell those jet kits but is it something an weekend warrior, DIY guy can do? I don't want to mess up anything and make it worst.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

Good call JC..

Estate: do you have factory service manuel? I have one. I can scan the pages on how to do carbs if you want. If so I need the year cause the 95's are a little different in the book.

I actually plan to take apart the whole book and scan it to cd which I will offer on here one day when I get it done.

As far as my bike I don't know if its been jetted. I need to take off carbs one day and see and maybe clean them. But yes you can more then likely do them on a weekend.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vinman911
Good call JC..

Estate: do you have factory service manuel? I have one. I can scan the pages on how to do carbs if you want. If so I need the year cause the 95's are a little different in the book.

I actually plan to take apart the whole book and scan it to cd which I will offer on here one day when I get it done.

As far as my bike I don't know if its been jetted. I need to take off carbs one day and see and maybe clean them. But yes you can more then likely do them on a weekend.
I have a 94'....thanks man...it's something i have shy away for some times now (carb). Looks like a good clean while I am at it/

Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

estate I finally learned how to clean my carbs just this year.. after over twenty years of owning and riding.. my biggest and best resource was Utube. and just to give you an idea of how easy it is once you find your confidence like I did. once you carburetors off and all the little screws and jets out and float bowls etc.. none of these parts can be screwed into the wrong holes.. . this is why I love Honda engineers.. this summer I cleaned two sets if carbs twice..anyway I had the first carb pulled apart and the total amount of little screws I had was 16 , 8 of the tinest washers ever made 4 tiny springs 4 big springs , 12 more screws that hold the top covers on and a dozen or so other little parts..
so . with what you just read probably seems like ya whatever I'll just send into the dealership but I'm telling you..once apart there isn't any screws that you can screw in wrong !!! engineering wise it's awesome.. there's really just no way to screw up..and all these carburetors a relatively the same all the way up to fuel injection.. I know.. . I have 4 900' s ranging from . your year all the way up to 98.. and yes it's a small fetish of mine these bikes.. anyway if you need any help. I would be glad to my part..just ask anything from me and I'll see what I can do...
jay

Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Before I owned my '94, I thought that the best sounding bike actually was a CBR 9 with a Two Brothers full system. A friend had a black/silver/red '93 back in the day, and I always loved the sound of his bike, a year later I had the same set up.

After market will have bigger diameter tubing, so that is one factor of a different sound, then each brand has its own way of doing things, so there is some variation in whose pipe it is.

If you can still buy a Two Brothers full system as I have on my bike, I don't think you can do better than that. The sound is deep without being obnoxious. It will get louder if you really get on it.

Changing the exhaust system is pretty easy for a moderately mechanically inclined person. Rejetting the carbs is more advanced.
For the added performance you will get, you definitely want to rejet the carbs! It is a cost efficient upgrade indeed.
My set up is--the mentioned--full system 4 into 2 into 1 Two Brothers exhaust along with a Factory jet kit (Factory is actually the name of the brand--it can be confusing heheh).

Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Tony Mawad
If you can still buy a Two Brothers full system as I have on my bike, I don't think you can do better than that. The sound is deep without being obnoxious. It will get louder if you really get on it.

Changing the exhaust system is pretty easy for a moderately mechanically inclined person. Rejetting the carbs is more advanced.
For the added performance you will get, you definitely want to rejet the carbs! It is a cost efficient upgrade indeed.
My set up is--the mentioned--full system 4 into 2 into 1 Two Brothers exhaust along with a Factory jet kit (Factory is actually the name of the brand--it can be confusing heheh).
This is the same exact setup that I had on my previous '94. I agree on the Two Brothers sound. It is awesome. Unfortunately, TBR no longer makes a full system for the 900, only a slip-on. Rejetting is a MUST! It will take a little trial and error with different jet sizes but will pay off in the end once you get it right.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

hey JC did you re sync your carbs when you put them back together?

A friend at my work has the maniometer and tool to do it. Of course the factory manuel doesn't say to do it. I pretty sure you have to when you seperate all the carbs.

I'm going to buy the tools from motion pro since I will be owning this bike for next 10+yrs.

Quick Reply: Questions 93-95 CBR900 owners about exhaust system