CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue

Ok here is my problem, have not rode the bike in a couple of weeks and it needed a new battery. I went and got a new higher quality battery and in stalled it. Turn the key on and all the lights came on as normal. Went to start it and nothing, in fact the whole bike is dead. No power anywhere, first though the 30amp fuse. Nope it's good. The connecter next to it had a little corrosion on it, cleaned it and us some electric grease before reinstall. Still nothing! All other fuses and the connectors wear good to go. Next thought the key switch. Pulled the connected apart. 3 wires, red, red/bl, and red/Bu. The bike harness red wire had 12V. Did a resistance test on the switch. I think the switch may need replacement but wasn't the problem. The reason I say this icon be caused I jumped the wire on the bike harness over. One goes to a fuse then fan, the other goes to the other fuses and to the rest of the bike. When I jumped it, still nothing. Now I am thing it's a ground problem. I was able to trace the ground from battery to the engine right behind the starter, but where is. The other grounds located at? It was suggested since the bike has some years on it that the ground may be corroded. And I live on an island. Any thoughts or questions?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Nippon900,
i noticed you joined up yesterday in the welcome area and knew from reading that post i would probably bump into you here this morning..
so goodmorning 8:52 eastern here and nice to meet you..

so i think i read your living in japan and you just bought this bike.. which i think is awesome.. i would love to see any pictures you have..and if you dont know how to post them directly into this thread, just ask and ill be happy show you.. i mention it because it took me a while to figure it out..

so onto your bike... right out the gate i would propably say you have a stator problem.. but that might be because i just had the same problem/symtoms.. and a relatively easy fix!!!

to try to get more people interested, i would repost the year of the bike, how many miles oh and pictures, ya these guys like pictures (me.. if you start pawing through old post you'll see what i mean.. i think its the tandgable factor...and if you do read through the old posts you'll come accross alot different problems,ideas and fixes as well!!! seeing you just got here i have to say: if like motocycling as a hobby/sport this will become your favorite website...there are alot of really smart people in here.. and sorry, i dont count myself as one of them... i'm just a rider, probaly like you, i like to tinker here and there and i also just bought my 900 a couple months back.. although i did buy one new in 93, i sold her a long time ago.. well i'm just rambling here..
nice to meet you!!! there is a download section where you can get the original manual for your bike and i think there might be something seperate for testing electrical.. i've used the manual for just about everything including the wiring on my bike,, that really should get you on good footing...
jay

sorry i have to take back the download section.. didnt relize it but i must of downloaded mine from this other website it called rrzone.com and it not a bad site but just not as active and warm and fuzzy as this forum.. keep us posted!!

found this thread for you::: https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 10-25-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: adding something
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM

Corrosion! I ohm the harness out and was getting 12v but the problem was under ther positive battery terminal was cororroded. I was test from the top and never saw it. It was making contact enof to read 12v. But was too much resistance to allow Dow flow(amps).

Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i would just go through the whole bike and electric gel all your connections...
i just did that while changing my stator, it was gave me some piece of mind..
jay

Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 PM

I found the problem. The wire harness was fine. I even was getting 12V at the main red wire at the ignition switch. When I using using my DMM, I tested from top of the batt. Terminal connector. At one point I noticed that with the (POS)terminal connected, the DMM lead made a small arc when touching the screw and the top of the terminal connector. This was odd because the terminal was secure and tight. Turns out on the bottom of the connector was corroded, it was making contact for a 12v read, but enough resistance not to power the bike. But now I am quit a bit more educated on my bikes elec. system. And all the the connectors have dielectric grease.