CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help! Electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Electrical issue?

I have an 87 cane with an issue. When I get it up operating temp it will die at stop signs. I runs great at highway speeds but when I slow to a stop it is just like the kill switch is shut off. It is only when the bike is warmed up so that is what makes me think it is electrical. The bike always starts right back up so I don't think it is a battery. I have done a search on here and cant find anyone who has the same problem. Everything I have read relates to the bike starting hard or it having to sit for a while before it starts. I have not done a compression check because I think it is electrical so, I turn to the experts on here for help. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 PM

Maybe try bumping up your idle adjustment a bit.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I would try what paco is suggesting.
Where does it normally idle at? Like after you start it, and it's just sitting there idling..

Other than that, it could be a clogged pilot jet in the carbs also.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Friend had a similar problem and as long as the battery is still full it will restart but it was a faulty stator.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it suddenly start doing this or was it a gradual thing. Does it stop running if you keep a little bit of throttle open (just enough for 1500rpm or so). If it only dies on fully closed throttle and not with a touch of wrist then my cash would also be on pilots. What do the plugs look like?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 PM

I would think that with a faulty stator you're not going to go too far. Your battery won't charge and eventually it'll die and won't restart.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by pacojoseph
I would think that with a faulty stator you're not going to go too far. Your battery won't charge and eventually it'll die and won't restart.
Your right, but in the situation im talking about the stator didnt fail right away, bike would run fine at higher speeds. but as soon as you hit stop and go speeds bike would turn off. needed a boost after a couple restarts and eventually after a couple days just wouldn’t restart on its own anymore. stator was replaced bike ran fine again. anyways thought i throw it out there.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Originally Posted by Tom1000f
Your right, but in the situation im talking about the stator didnt fail right away, bike would run fine at higher speeds. but as soon as you hit stop and go speeds bike would turn off. needed a boost after a couple restarts and eventually after a couple days just wouldn’t restart on its own anymore. stator was replaced bike ran fine again. anyways thought i throw it out there.

Mine did that just before my current situation and I blew up my harness, reg/rec, battery and possibly stator. Not to scare ya, but mine was almost identical. Died at a stop sign occasionally, fired right back up, ran great at speeds (and when its warm), can't keep a battery charged more than a few days... sheesh now that I think about it, how many flags did my gal have give me!??! lol

With a new stator maybe the reg/rec is on the fritz?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a new stator maybe the reg/rec is on the fritz?
I'd go along on this one !
With these bikes, the std reg/rec doesn't charge below 3000 revs much - if the reg/rec is faulty, then nothing's getting through to the battery...............
Given the symptoms, I'd say check reg/rec.

Last edited by Shadow; 09-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Talking

The first time it died on me I was about 80 miles from home this was 3 weeks ago. I finished my ride (another 140 miles) and it died 2 more times. I replaced the spark plugs, they were a real nice tan color, but I thought what the heck I have only owned the bike 3 months and I dont know when they were changed last. I also started running seafoam in the tank. I have not charged the battery because it always starts. I put about 100 miles a week on and the battery hasn't been an issue yet. I checked the battery voltage it is 12.4 with key off and with bike running above 2000 rpm it jumps to 14.9 volts. From what I have read most hurricanes don't start charging until 3000 rpm. Sorry I didn't include this info in my original post but I just got around to checking battery. Thanks for the advice so far from everyone. You guys are a great group.

Quick Reply: Help! Electrical issue?