Winter time repair time!

  #1  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 264
Default Winter time repair time!

Well as some of you may know I got in a wreck a few months ago on my 03 CBR600RR. Unfortunately my local (and incompetent) Progressive agent gave me the wrong coverage and so my crash wasn't covered under my insurance. After battling with Progressive for months now and being avoided by their customer support, lied to, mislead, accused of lying (which I disproved and got no apology for) and insulted multiple times on a personal level...the "case" I had is also denied. This means they're not doing anything for me at all.

I was going to hire an attorney but I'm a college student with a tuition bill due soon and can't afford to do that so I'm out of luck. It basically looks like I'll be repairing my bike and selling it off because I can't afford to get a new jacket, pants, gloves and helmet (boots need new toe sliders too).

So it looks like I'll be without a bike for the next few years so the repairs I'm making are kind of bitter sweet for me. Hopefully I'll still get a decent price for the bike in the spring though.

Anywho, you can find the crash pics and more information on the insurance crap here: https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...-today-149711/

This is kind of going to be a log (and where I'll ask for advice/tips) of my rebuild/repair process. So far I've got most the fairings off (working on the nose fairing now, it's a pain) and the damages don't look too terrible. I'll have some pics up in a bit.

Here's the list of stuff to get repaired/replaced/checked (so far):
Valve adjustment & check/replace CCT (one of these things [I think at least] was the cause of a motor tick for the 2K miles since I had the bike)
Frame sliders (swapping to the ones you cut the fairings for obviously)
Left side rearset
Left side lower fairing
Bar ends (both)
Left side bar grip
Left side mirror
Misc. bolts I've found were missing or have broken.
Vinyl wrapping the bike so I don't have to find nice fairings and can make the color uniform, plus a nice wrap will look good!
Cutting the exhaust down to a proper length and adding packing to quiet it a bit.
Oil/fluid drain and change.

And I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but I'll get around to it.

If anybody has any of those parts or experience with vinyl or valve adjustments I'm all ears to tips and tricks...haven't done either of those things yet.
Check CCT
 
  #2  
Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Conrice's Avatar
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,148
Default

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine View Post
Cutting the exhaust down to a proper length and adding packing to quiet it a bit.
YES! That'll be very cool to see. I wanted to cut mine down - but I've already listed it and I just want to be done with it.

As far as the other stuff, just take your time. I'm sure you'll be just checking the valves and you most likely won't have to adjust them. Checking them is not hard. Make sure (if you don't have them already), your feeler gauges are the proper size. The set I had before I did any of my own work were too big to check the actual clearances - the smallest I think was .008 or something - and you'll need smaller (.006 at least, and that's if you're in spec, if they're tighter, you'll need to know how much you need to adjust thus requiring .004 or so).
 
  #3  
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by Conrice View Post
YES! That'll be very cool to see. I wanted to cut mine down - but I've already listed it and I just want to be done with it.

As far as the other stuff, just take your time. I'm sure you'll be just checking the valves and you most likely won't have to adjust them. Checking them is not hard. Make sure (if you don't have them already), your feeler gauges are the proper size. The set I had before I did any of my own work were too big to check the actual clearances - the smallest I think was .008 or something - and you'll need smaller (.006 at least, and that's if you're in spec, if they're tighter, you'll need to know how much you need to adjust thus requiring .004 or so).
Yeah, It'll be interesting...hopefully it'll come out alright.

The plan right now is to order some 3M Scotchprint vinyl for the fairings and that'll probably be the next big step. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...PbsQPbPPPPPP--

I think I'm going to go with matte black or orange...I haven't decided yet heh.

I might leave the nose fairing on...I don't really have a reason to take it off at this point.

The best news that I got tonight though was that my bike doesn't actually have frame damage as suspected. I'd just never seen the type of frame slider kit that the previous idiot...errr...owner used (eBay) so I thought what best was part of the frame but instead it was just a mounting bracket for the cheap sliders!

I'm stoked about that!
 
  #4  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 264
Default

Making progress slowly...

I think I'm going to try to do the valve adjustment this weekend. Anybody got any tips for me? I've never done one before...
 
  #5  
Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 PM
PossibleOne's Avatar
Welcome Crew Technician
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 515
Default

Thats rough bro. Keep in mind when you do the color that you should give it a good base for whoever the next owner is to work off of. No offense but orange, although I like it, and you may that the next person may not. Whereas a nice black or something is workable from a ton of diff angles. Just a thought. Cutting the exhaust is pretty easy, I did my Yoshi and it turned out awesome. Not sure about the valves, but if you get the manual they are usually pretty clear. I like to cross reference the service manual and my clymer or something because sometimes the perspective is different.

Good luck.

-Poss
 
  #6  
Old 01-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I View Post
Thats rough bro. Keep in mind when you do the color that you should give it a good base for whoever the next owner is to work off of. No offense but orange, although I like it, and you may that the next person may not. Whereas a nice black or something is workable from a ton of diff angles. Just a thought. Cutting the exhaust is pretty easy, I did my Yoshi and it turned out awesome. Not sure about the valves, but if you get the manual they are usually pretty clear. I like to cross reference the service manual and my clymer or something because sometimes the perspective is different.

Good luck.

-Poss
Yeah, I'm not considering orange anymore. It's black or white now

The only thing I'm worried about with the exhaust is that the center baffle will have to be rewelded together. I don't have a welder so I wouldn't be able to do that and would have to bring it somewhere unfortunately.

I should really order the Clymer, but I also have to order some fairings, they vinyl, rearset, new sliders, new bar ends, new clutch cover...

UGH.
 
  #7  
Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Conrice's Avatar
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,148
Default

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine View Post
Making progress slowly...

I think I'm going to try to do the valve adjustment this weekend. Anybody got any tips for me? I've never done one before...
If you don't have a set already - get the big set of feelers that go really small! And remember you're measuring clearances that can be anywhere from .002-.015 realistically - so that set that has .006 and bigger isn't good enough to get because your valves might be tighter and out of spec on the intake side...
 
  #8  
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM
PossibleOne's Avatar
Welcome Crew Technician
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine View Post
Yeah, I'm not considering orange anymore. It's black or white now

The only thing I'm worried about with the exhaust is that the center baffle will have to be rewelded together. I don't have a welder so I wouldn't be able to do that and would have to bring it somewhere unfortunately.

I should really order the Clymer, but I also have to order some fairings, they vinyl, rearset, new sliders, new bar ends, new clutch cover...

UGH.
No joke, man every time I turn around for the past month has been like "drop another 50" "heres another 50" what is it with like all the damn parts being 50 bucks, haha...need turns, 50 bucks, needed a new rear light, 50 bucks. stator cover, 50 bucks. battery, 50 bucks, etc etc etc

adds up for sure. Do as ya can I guess. good luck man.

-Poss
 
  #9  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 264
Default

Originally Posted by Conrice View Post
If you don't have a set already - get the big set of feelers that go really small! And remember you're measuring clearances that can be anywhere from .002-.015 realistically - so that set that has .006 and bigger isn't good enough to get because your valves might be tighter and out of spec on the intake side...
I'll have to look what we've got. My dad has a load of tools so I hope we've got some small enough feeler gauges
 
  #10  
Old 03-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 264
Default

Anybody got a link to a good writeup for checking valves?

I'm still not sure that's the issue but the bike makes a definite noise.

I'll try to post a video up later to see if you guys can help me diagnose the issue.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter time repair time!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.