Winter time repair time!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bucket/shimmed valves don't usually tick. They usually tighten up as opposed to loosen up.

Post a vid of it.

HOW TO: Check your valve clearances on your 07/08 600RR (step by step with pictures) : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

I know it's for an 07, but everything should be the same essentially. Just check to make sure the clearances are the same (pretty sure there are though)

Old 03-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
Bucket/shimmed valves don't usually tick. They usually tighten up as opposed to loosen up.

Post a vid of it.

HOW TO: Check your valve clearances on your 07/08 600RR (step by step with pictures) : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

I know it's for an 07, but everything should be the same essentially. Just check to make sure the clearances are the same (pretty sure there are though)
Alright, I'll check them soon. I've got to do some struts, a wheel bearing and ball joint on my car today so probably won't get around to valves on the bike!

I'm starting to think it could be a seized cam chain tensioner. It makes noise ALL the time no matter how long the bike has been running and it has made the noise for 2,000 miles. I feel like if it was the valves something would have gone terribly wrong in that time period.

Time to pick up an APE unit I guess, it can't hurt either.

Thanks for the link, looks like just what I was looking for.

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 03-30-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
Alright, I'll check them soon. I've got to do some struts, a wheel bearing and ball joint on my car today so probably won't get around to valves on the bike!

I'm starting to think it could be a seized cam chain tensioner. It makes noise ALL the time no matter how long the bike has been running and it has made the noise for 2,000 miles. I feel like if it was the valves something would have gone terribly wrong in that time period.

Time to pick up an APE unit I guess, it can't hurt either.

Thanks for the link, looks like just what I was looking for.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to say either way. "Tick" on the internet could be anything. CCT to rod bearings to a perfectly running engine... there's just no telling unless I hear it. And even then - it's hard to tell not being in person. If you have a stethoscope - stethoscope it out and see where it's coming from.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want to say either way. "Tick" on the internet could be anything. CCT to rod bearings to a perfectly running engine... there's just no telling unless I hear it. And even then - it's hard to tell not being in person. If you have a stethoscope - stethoscope it out and see where it's coming from.
I do have a stethoscope. It's one used for medical stuff (I got it when I took my EMT class) so if that works I'll give it a shot...it's a loud tick.

I'm uploading a video right now.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Here's the video!

Apparently it's converting...

https://vimeo.com/90482113

Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM

Here's the video!

Apparently it's converting...

https://vimeo.com/90482113
That sounds pretty good to me. Maybe a CCT if you are hearing some rattling, but other than that - it sounds normal. The head and engine cases are aluminum - very noisy compared to most cars or trucks.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM

That sounds pretty good to me. Maybe a CCT if you are hearing some rattling, but other than that - it sounds normal. The head and engine cases are aluminum - very noisy compared to most cars or trucks.
Really?

Maybe it sounds louder in person...I really need to just have somebody who knows about these bikes listen to it in person.

I'm trying to gear up for a 9,000 mile ride (I'm doing 6K of it, friend is doing the last 3K) in two months so I am trying to figure out all the issues it may have.

I think I'll get the APE tensioner just in case and I'm checking the valves when I have the time (probably later this week since I'm on spring break).

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 PM

Really?

Maybe it sounds louder in person...I really need to just have somebody who knows about these bikes listen to it in person.

I'm trying to gear up for a 9,000 mile ride (I'm doing 6K of it, friend is doing the last 3K) in two months so I am trying to figure out all the issues it may have.

I think I'll get the APE tensioner just in case and I'm checking the valves when I have the time (probably later this week since I'm on spring break).

Thanks!
Unless there's something specific that I'm not hearing - it sounds similar to the way mine sounded. And it ran really well. Like I said, the motors are naturally loud. But an APE isn't a bad idea. It'll quiet down some of that "rattle". Obviously - just be careful to not go too tight on it

Here's some vids. Your's sounds quieter than all of these.

Last edited by Conrice; 03-30-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM

Wow.

I guess they really are noisy! I really thought they would run a bit quieter but I'm glad to know it is pretty normal. I might as well get the APE just to have it there and check my valves as well before the trip.

Thanks for the help, definitely put some of my fears to rest

Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Got the first of my new parts in the mail today! Bought an integrated tail light off a guy on 600rr.net and I installed it in the tail fairing. Had to swap the bracket from my old one but it fit just fine! Have to wire it up this weekend but that takes care of my rear turn signal problem

Saw some front signals for $35 at the local Ducati dealership the other day too, might get those and finish up my turn signal needs.

Quick Reply: Winter time repair time!