Whats wrong with my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my bike?

Hi. So first of all my 2003 CBR600RR was outside covered for the winter. I cleaned, lubed the chain, put storage fluid in the tank and charged the battery. I started riding it and it started sputtering in first gear while accelerating and the oil light started going on when it happened and then the oil light shut off once it started riding smoothly again so i changed the oil and the oil filter. After that it was still happening and the bike started sputtering in higher gears and eventually the engine started shutting off while riding as a result of the sputtering. I bought lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner and put about a third of the 5.25oz bottle into the gas tank after filling up. I then noticed a rattling/knocking sound coming from the engine. I still havent gone through the treated tank of gas but now the engine is cutting out even in neutral while idling. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I've never worked on a bike. I'm a new rider. I just bought my bike 7 months ago and it's got 15,000 miles on it.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi , first of all I would have a look at your fault codes and see what it gives you, drain the tank, make sure it free from dirt/rust at the filter, I personally have never put "storage fluid" in the tank over winter, dont even know what that is,you will need the workshop manual to go through the operation, dont know what the knocking is yet .

Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi , first of all I would have a look at your fault codes and see what it gives you, drain the tank, make sure it free from dirt/rust at the filter, I personally have never put "storage fluid" in the tank over winter, dont even know what that is,you will need the workshop manual to go through the operation, dont know what the knocking is yet .
Storage fluid as in stablizer. Well when i go to start it now it seems to be an electrical problem. The dash lights up but when i go to start it all of the lights shut off. The battery is only 7 months old and i charged it so do you think it is the alternator/stator? Or could it be a short?

Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a multimeter on the battery terminals, try to start it and see what volts the battery goes down to