Sprocket mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket mod

I'm new 2 the forum, but i can see that posts bout sprockets are beat to death, but i just want mostly advice from people who have changed their sprockets. The -1 on the front n +2 on back, is that the best combo? if not, what is? and how much of a difference actually is the performance? i don't care about my top speed at all because i've had so many tickets i don't go triple digits 2 often anymore, i just bought my '03 RR last week and i want this to be my first mod, once again i know it sucks 2 keep telling people over & over again about this but any comments would be appreciated, i've searched on here but didn't find too much info on what i wanted to know, i read that someone went -1 +3 and said how easy it was to lift up the front end, is that the truth or just someone blabbin at the mouth? thanks guys

Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Sprocket mod

I think with research I have found that just +1 on the front is all im gonna do for now, Im like you with this mod I will only be able to do 145. I dont really care to go any faster than that unless on a track. I just dont see why you need to go 75 in first, this mod will allow you to go around 60 in first, so what I have 5 other gears!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 AM

you ment -1 on front i think right? well, i see most people on here have -1/+2 but i was jus thinkin on the +3. why not, you think that one extra tooth would actually effect my mpg that much? also, my chain was SUPER loose, bangin & clankin so i tightened it up, n rode to work and back once (104 miles) already it needs tightened again, i have almost half the life left on the adjuster notches, is my chain just junk or could it be another problem? too much torque'n? haha

Old 09-20-2006, 01:50 AM

im also thinking just the +1 will be good, hey arkansas i thought you sold the 600?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 AM

I will probably never hear the end of that, but I though it was hilarious so Im not changing my screenname.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 AM

[sm=boosign.gif] You probably wont. The mods wont let us keep going with the stupidity either I see.

you ment -1 on front i think right? well, i see most people on here have -1/+2 but i was jus thinkin on the +3. why not, you think that one extra tooth would actually effect my mpg that much? also, my chain was SUPER loose, bangin & clankin so i tightened it up, n rode to work and back once (104 miles) already it needs tightened again, i have almost half the life left on the adjuster notches, is my chain just junk or could it be another problem? too much torque'n? haha
I went -1 on the front of mine and it was well worth it. I know my brother went -1+3 and he said it was borderline too much. As for MPG, it actually helped mine. Went from average of 47mpg to now average 54mpg. How do you know it needs tightening? It shouldnt be TIGHT, just taught. If it's on it's sidestand you should be able to lift it up with your foot and probably touch the swing arm. Your chain is probably not shot. I got over 20,000 on my stock one before it was binding.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 AM

When i would ride down the rode i could see the chain bouncing up and down ridiculously (sp? lol) and could hear a tick tick tick of it hitting something, very loud, tightened it, noise went away. manual says and inch & 1/4 or somethin of slack, which i set it at, now after the 104 miles it's right back 2 hanging low again, not making the noise yet but lookes like it will soon. what did your brother mean by borderline too much w/ the -1/+3? rpms running too high or what?

Old 09-20-2006, 02:41 AM

Yes......too high RPM's. If he did more long distance riding he wouldnt want it that high. For track days and just short (150mile day) rides it was ok. 1st gear went by fast, and 2nd didnt take long either. As for your chain loosening, did you make sure and tighten everything down good? I've forgoten to tighten the axel nut before. (didnt drive that way, remembered next morning) but it is possible.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

[sm=boosign.gif] You probably wont. The mods wont let us keep going with the stupidity either I see.

I went -1 on the front of mine and it was well worth it. I know my brother went -1+3 and he said it was borderline too much. As for MPG, it actually helped mine. Went from average of 47mpg to now average 54mpg. How do you know it needs tightening? It shouldnt be TIGHT, just taught. If it's on it's sidestand you should be able to lift it up with your foot and probably touch the swing arm. Your chain is probably not shot. I got over 20,000 on my stock one before it was binding.
Do you have the healer? if not, you are showing more miles than you are actually going, which would give a higher MPG. Most people do not getter better milage (about 10% worse). i would check you speedo for margin of error.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM

yes, i agree, no way you get more mpg's with that. your engine is turning faster which in turn makes it think you are going more miles, when actually you are going less...IMO..