should i trust buying an R or salvaged titled bike??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i trust buying an R or salvaged titled bike??

so heres the story i've been looking for an 07-08 600RR or an 01-03 F4i and my buddy came across this guy that is a broker that buys cars and bikes from auctions with salvaged/R-title's. He said he can find me an R-titled or salvaged bike with no frame damage and lower miles for cheap just a finders fee of 300 and i'd have to pick it up. should i trust buying a bike with an R or salvage title?? what does it take to give a bike an R-title or a salvage?

Thanks guys

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM

A salvage bike can be retitled but it has to pass inspection and will forever be branded with a "rebuilt" salvage title. The only thing bad about a rebuilt title is that potential buyers frown upon them and are harder to sell and are worth less. If you find one with a salvage title cheap enough you could just buy a frame with a clean title off ebay and swap parts over.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 PM

i think im going to try it out if i find a good enough deal because whatever i buy i plan on keeping as long as theres no issues i might not be able to tell before buying

Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 PM

i would have it looked at by a profesional, have them mic the frame and make sure its straight. i had my old bike knocked over at the gas station and it became a salvage title, bike was in better shape after a got a salvage then before, ( i used the money to buy a new tank too ) but there was nothing wrong with it, I work across the street from a pretty big bike shop and im buddys with the owner, i see bike all the time that have been absolutly trashed and fixed back up with NO salvage title at all and most def should be, then theres mine that got tipped over and salvaged, it just depends! but please have it looked at by a pro, and have the old owner pay for it! just make sure it rides "straight"

just my 2 cents

Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cheap? How cheap? Rather focus on saving up more money + the $300 finders fee...get yourself a clean title bike ride.

I NEVER believe there is such a good deal, unless it from family or good friend. No one works for free..and those Repo bike have bad karma...it's worst buying used, even worst buying something repo or salvage just to save a few now...

Get a clean title bike and when it's time to trade up, easy to sell...

That's just IMO...