F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

SALVAGED BIKE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SALVAGED BIKE!!!!!

Hey guys im buying a 01 f4i from a private dealer for 9K miles repsol replica paint for $3000 obo the catch is it is a salvage title. I asked why and they said it fell over at a gas station and the frame and plastics got scratched so they called insurance to get it fixed and the insurance company totaled it due to the scratch on the frame. What do you guys think and is it a good price or not for what it is? And anything else i should look out for? Both my bike buddies warned me to run away but also said that IF i did buy it to try and crack a 100mph and if it acts funny or has a lot of vibration than its more than just a scratch on the frame and that the frame is bent and twisted. This is the perfect price range for me due to college starting in about 2 weeks i cant really save up any more. And if its a salvage title will i be able to get it insured/tagged/registered for the street? or will it be track only? thanks!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Default RE: SALVAGED BIKE!!!!!

If it has a salvaged title you will NOT be able to get it registered until you fixed whats wrong with it and get it inspected. I have a bike with a re-built title which means it was once salvaged, then was fixed and inspected. I paid 3500 for mine with a re-built title 7200 miles, and in pretty good shape. Has cracks and scrathes but non are noticable unless you start looking very closely. Be careful with it, and i would take it to a mechanice that can check it out and see if its worth the money or not.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

i would take it to a mechanice that can check it out and see if its worth the money or not.

they should have no problem letting you take it to a shop you trust if you hand them a check for the full ammount and say if the guy says it sucks im cancling that check

Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 PM

i bought my salvage title bike from a guy that worked at the dealer. The bike fell over and broke off the right passanger peg and bracket that bolts to the sub frame. Got a new bracket and welded it on and got a rebilt title. THe guy i bought it from got it from the dealer for $1800 and sold it to me for $2700. scratch on the frame isnt that bad. maybe you can just pollish it and then take it for inspection with out even replacing it? just a thought.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the laws for your state, at a REAL site. These are just opinions here.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! The people im getting it from I guess called insurance to get it fixed and they totaled it because of the scratch in the frame. I dont know if its a re-built title but the seller said that the title is coming in the mail from the insurance company so i guess they got a new salvage title on it? Im going to go see it this monday so any more suggestions would be greatly appriciated. And is $3000 a good price for a salvage or should i try bring it down a lot lower? Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Salvaged bikes aren't like salvaged cars. It's actually pretty easy to find salvaged bikes these days, considering the cost of labor and then the cost of plastics alone. It's not surprising. The price seems reasonable, IFwhat he is saying is wrong with the bike is the full extent of the damage. You just have to be really cautious. Maybe request copies of the insurance company claim. They would have inspected the bike to determine the damage and make the decision to salvage it.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM

What should i look for when i test ride the bike/inspect it? Also what are the major signs of the frame being bent while im riding? thanks again guys!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM

most insurance companies wont insure a salvaged bike. i would look up your state laws. from my experiences the bike has to be re-inspected to get a new title. they will do all sorts of measurements to see if there is any bends or twists to the frame. be careful if you buy the bike and go out and do 100mph. if there is something wrong it could mean BIG trouble for you.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Disclamer: I've never submitted a claim on a motorcycle before.

With being said, this sounds fishy to me. You don't total a bike because of a scratch. Even with an older bike, they aren't going to pay out thousands because of a scratch. An insurance adjuster is going to inspect the bike and determine if the "scratch" is more than a scratch. Also, 2001's don't come stock with a race replica paint job, so if it was just a couple of scratches, why did they repaint the bike? It is completely normal for a 2001 to have scratches, so why would they put hundreds of dollors in paint/fairings for a couple of scratches.

Finally, when an insurance company totals a bike/car, they are the new owner of the bike. They usually sell them at auctions. You don't get to keep your bike when its been totaled. So their statement that "they said it fell over at a gas station and the frame and plastics got scratched so they called insurance to get it fixed and the insurance company totaled it due to the scratch on the frame.", makes me very skeptical.

Quick Reply: SALVAGED BIKE!!!!!