should i start out with a cbr 600?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: should i start out with a cbr 600?

ORIGINAL: Gville George

you must be nothing but legs baxsom because i am tip toeing unless i just lean over to one leg.

well they are long and luscious

my avatar pic is my 1000rr and you can see i am flatfooted on it and it is taller than my 600

Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: sssmasss

oh! thanks for the advice guys. i think and the majorities of experienced riders believe that 600cbr is not for beginner riders. thanks for your advice guys. BTW... I am sorry i didnt mean the new cbr i meant the 2001-2004 600cbr...so do u think i could do it? please let me know, because i only drove 125cc (it was back in my countries where they only have 125cc bikes or scooters as we called it america)
power or displacement aren't the problem. it's the rest of the description: SUPERsport. there is absolutely NO marketing or over exaggeration of that term. everything about that bike is SUPER sensitive. steering is by far the largest concern for new riders. it's RAZOR sharp, and if you've got no idea how to keep it under taps, it will toss you into a high side, the most dangerous type of SVI (Single Vehicle Incident) there is. the Short wheelbase also makes for a particularly hazardous situation for new riders making it able to take corners much faster at high lean angles. the ultra responsive engine coupled with it's 17.6 HP per 100CC inline 4 cylinder (26.425 HP/Cyl. @ 149.75 cc) engine makes for new riders who are a little apprehensive about a twist throttle, or that bump in the road can end your evening quickly. do the math on that. 300 cc's on a super sport motorcycle has more RWHP than a Paratwin does with 101 MORE cc's to play with. these bikes are that efficient with combustion, it's ridiculous.

Do i think you could do it? i don't know, i've never seen you ride a motorcycle before. I've never met you before in my life. your chances of pulling it off are pretty darn low statistically speaking. I'd put money on the NO part of your question.

however i do want to see you on two wheels. start out on a standard sport motorcycle and work on your control from that. after you get better and more confident and experienced, move up the performance ladder until you reach where you want to be. some people put a lot of emphasis on the 1000cc SuperBikes as the penultimate of motor sports machines. true as that may be ON THE RACE TRACK, it holds little to no weight on the streets.

You asked for experienced guidance. you've received it. it's up to you now as to what to do with it. it's your burden to carry now.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM

thanks alot knightslugger... so according to you which bike should be good for a beginnger like me?

Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM

just to throw in another beginners input... i have an 06 600RR it's my first street bike but i was raised on dirtbikes so i took to in quickly... i've only had the bike 3 or 4 months but i'm lovin every min. of it... and like someone else said throttle control is a huge key to keeping it up right... i have dropped mine once but it was at a stand still in grass, nothing was thankfully but man was i mad... i suggest starting on an older 600 that way if it gets layed down then it's not as much money down the drain... i'm 5'11" and have to try and flat foot mine, my friends 07' i can flat foot and stand up and get things out of my pockets and his bike is by far faster than mine (glad i didn't start on one)

if i had to do it all over again i would get a little older bike maybe one thats been dropped befor and have cosmetic damage that way when i lay it down it's not as big of a deal.. i suggest investing in some good riding gear before you do a ton of riding... had a friend 12 oclock a high chair in nothing but jeans tshirt and helmet and he was pretty bad off he was only doing 45 ish

Old 09-20-2007, 04:42 AM

Is it do-able to start on a CBR600? Yes.
Is it smart? probably not.

many will say starting on a supersport 600cc and up is not the brightest idea. Seeing that you are 5'5 and a light 150lbs, probably best to start smaller like a Suzuki GS500 orKawi ZZR600.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 AM

As cliche as it may sound, I think it is DO ABLE to start on an SS 600, but as Justice said, it's probably not smart. I took the liberty of purchasing an 03 RR with the exception of taking my time, educating myself and approaching it an a serious, mature manner.

I have purchased literature, obtained advice from experienced track riders, and memorized Keith Codes SR list....If I havent done that, I wouldve layed my bike down at least twice since I bought it! (4 weeks, 800 miles)

I respect the bike, ride within my limits, and throttle control!

E

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM

cool.. thanks agains guys... Throttle control... ... got it.. thank you

Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Honestly take the couple day class if you are worried about handling/riding of the bike.

I purchased a 07 couple months ago it being my first bike. Love the thing ride it like crazy. The thing is....just take ur time go down some backroads and test out the bike, see how itturns..how it works *leaning etc*. Or if you want to practice go grab a smaller bike and just practice turning without moving the handle bars, just lean. I think its definately possible its just you Have to be patient and honestly learn the bike.Think of possible things that you are doing wrong and how it could effect you. for instance right hand throttle placement, if you go over a bump are u going to kick it back and gas it into a wall or worse yet a car?

Just my .02. I have road multiple dirt bikes 50/75/125/250 but again this is my first street bikeand brb while i go knock on wood cause i'm sure i just jinxed myself.

6'2" 135lbs

Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 PM

Experienced or not I have a 600 I love it, It is perfect for me and I would have never picked a different bike. It handles excellent and its very light compared to the 2007 cbr 1000 I ride also! I'm an athlete and have been riding bikes, quads my whole life the cbr was just my next step.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM

I don't know who is giving you advice about the rr vs the r6 but they are very close performance wise.

That's good of you to ask here.

I started on a kawasaki ex500, then moved up to a 600f2 and now a vfr 750.

You can start big like others have said, but you will likely drop the bike at least once and it may be very expensive to fix.

Do you plan to have money set aside for proper gear? Helmet, gloves, boots, leathers can get very expensive. Jeans and a thick jacket/gloves/helmet at the very least and over the ankle shoes.

Quick Reply: should i start out with a cbr 600?