RR rebuild - take 2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR rebuild - take 2!

After two months worth of deciding on parting out the RR or rebuilding. I decided that she needs a rebuild. Its too early for her to die so young. Bought a new 2005 working engine with everything for it for 1200 bucks shipped. I can't wait to start this summer project. This time, no more stunting. I also invested 500 bucks in a 26 gallon air compressor, tools, sprayer set, and lines. I should have a spiffy garage! Best summer it shall be. New computer, be damned.

And the gixxer will wait its turn for a rebuild, the RR was first and it shall recieve it's full attention! Damn, feels good to blow so much money at one time. I should get a full system now so I won't have to think about it for another 2 months.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Default RE: RR rebuild - take 2!

Go for it, but do yourself a favor and get a manual if you don't have one. It'll be your bible and Soichiro your god. Good luck!!!

Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 AM

I have the pdf version that I got from another site so I think I'm good.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 AM

Alright people. My engine came today so I decided to work a little bit on the RR. The shop forgot to include the airbox, headers, and master cyclinder so... I don't have to wait for those since I won't be getting anything near there for a while.

After an hour of playing foreplay with the bike and engine, getting all damn dirty from the freaking chain lub, I finally got the engine out of the frame with a few car jacks, cinder blocks, and various sizes of wood (and me guns too!). It wasn't too bad, half the time I was trying to figure out how to get it out of the frame. I was going to get an engine hoist to get the engine off, but after weighing the new engine that I got, it turned out to only be 65 pounds (woot, I'm strong enough to move it! I'm only 125)

Dropped the old engine. Used 2x12's on the floor to slowly drop the engine to the floor. Worked well. Didn't want to crack the block anymore even though it didnt matter...

New engine and parts

Zuka Project:
I had the old honda front end farings from when I got the RR. Its shattered in 4 pieces and pretty beatup. Patching it up with fiberglass and making custom fiberglass farings for the Gixxer. Calling it a Zuka (crossbreed from a suzuki and a honda... if you didn't get it) That should also be a fun "little" project on the side too. And yes, I have 2 motorcycle projects going on (not including the paint job I still need to do for the F2). This summer is jam packed full of stuff. Now I just have to figure out how to put the RR back together...