Painting your windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting your windscreen

Hey all. I unfortunately laid my bike down towards the end of last year's riding season. Over the winter I've been replacing stuff here and there. I ordered a set of fairings from cbrfairings.com and also ordered a new rear seat and windscreen from them. However, I wasn't satisfied with the fairings when they arrived. I ordered the OEM black and green for the '09 bike. When the fairings arrived the colors were way off from the OEM colors, which if I would have paid more attention to the pictures I would have noticed that. So needless to say I returned my fairings along with the seat and windscreen. I was able to find a set of OEM fairings on ebay for $1,000 and they should be in this week. Once I have the fairings the last I need for the bike to be completely road ready is the windscreen and the rear seat to be resurfaced. When I laid the bike down the windscreen recieved a few scrapes across the front of it, but nothing that appears to be too deep. Well instead of ordering a new windscreen on short notice I was thinking about painting the old one a glossy black. I was thinking of using a really fine sandpaper to rough up the screen, spray on a layer of primer, then do 3 or 4 coats of gloss black all purpose paint. Has anyone tried this? Or is there a better way of doing this? All rambling aside, I'm glad to be back and hopefully you'll see a lot more of me on here this year :-)

Ryan

Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try using a round cloth buff in a drill, but don't go too fast or you'll burn the screen. Use buffing soap. Should work. Once you have the scratches out, paint the INSIDE of the screen...................should look good when finished.
It's what I use to take smaller scratches out of visors....

Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they might be a little too deep for that. My brother still has the windscreen so I can't exactly look at it to be sure or not but if they're not too deep I'll try that. My brother works for a company that makes windshields for aircraft. He took my windscreen and made a mold out of it and they're going to make a few different styles of the windscreen to see what I like. When I get one of them I'll post pics. Thanks for the help.