oil question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil question

ok i just bought a 07 RR but dont really know the maintenace. Bought it from a private owner and i forgot to ask when was the last time he changed the oil or forgot I was just too excited. I rode it it rides good only 4,6xx miles in it. My question is that im going to winterize it soon like the 2nd week of november but i dont want to change the oil until spring since its just going to sit. Can i get away with not changing the oil till spring?? Do i absolutely have to change the oil before i winterize it?? I am going to do all the other stuff such as fuel stabil and taking out the battery putting it on the trickle charger. Just really dont have the money to waste to change the oil before the winter let it sit and then change it again in spring. Any advice??

Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil question

CHANGE THAT OIL! dont leave the old oil sitting in it for the winter.Bad idea. Best to change it before and after storage. But what i do and have never had any problems is, i change it for winter storage, then when spring comes i just ride it with the oil thats in it and change it when its needed next. (people are gonna flame me for that) but ive never had any problems. I dont know if you change the oil yourself or you get someone else to do it, but if you wanna save some bucks change it yourself, its really not that hard. there are a few great video's on youtube that show how to do it. But seriously, dont leave that old contaminated oil in it for the winter!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil question

First thing when you buy a bike, change the oil. And use Mobil 1 synthetic. Ask the guy what type of oil he used, if he used synthetic, do not go back to normal oil. If he used normal oil, just use that for now, it'll save you some $, but next spring go to synthetic blend and then go all synthetic after that.

And make sure you change the filter as well...you can get Honda OEM filters from honda-partsdirect.com or carolinacycle.com pretty cheap.