Newb with 07 600RR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with 07 600RR Questions

Hi all,

I have placed a deposit on a 2007 CBR600RR and will most likely be picking it up on tomorrow contigent on the sale of my current "sporty" ride, a 2004 Honda VFR800. Purchasing a cruiser and selling my SV650 has really left a void for a flickable bike with a bit of nastiness. I've been researching the middleweight class, and have pretty much decided on the new CBR based on reviews alone, even though I have very little road time on the bike (10 minutes or so, no WOT and not above 10k RPM) compared to the others.

Questions about the CBR600RR.

1) The other bike in contention right now is an 07 Gixxer 750, but I really like the weight, looks, and ergos of the CBR. Can anyone that has ridden the two comment on the powerband differences? I'm not as concerned with all out HP, moreso with the midrange and lower revs.

2) There are a lot of frame-slider options, and I would like to get opinions on which ones offers the best protection for frames and plastics. Price isn't really an issue, but it never hurts to get good value.

3) I've read that 2bros recommends a PCIII with an aftermarket slip-on, but have never had that requirement with other bikes. I'm pretty sure that I won't need to make any Air/Fuel changes in the near future, but the vanity in me is going to want more sound right off the bat. So do all aftermarket pipes require a fuel mgt change as well?

4) Just how much weight can you save with an aftermarket can alone, is it negligible?

5) I like the red color, but have seen it on waaay too many hondas. Does the red color still pull the honeys, or is it played out? ok that one is a joke. except for me digging the red.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Default RE: Newb with 07 600RR Questions

Well, though I can't answer your 600 vrs 750 question... my '07 cbr is freakin' sweet and I love most everything about it. (minus the bus-lights it calls turn signals... but that's fixable), I'll answer what I can from my personal experience.

Answer to 2: There's going to be alot of speculation here... cut vrs no-cut, brand preference, all that. The ones I'm going to be getting are no-cuts. In the end... the "cut" style (where you have to modify the fenders usually), are going to be, usually, somewhat stronger. That being said, if you check out this web site here, they've got a crash picture and how well their no-cuts held up. A well engineered set of no-cut sliders will be plenty strong. (As a side note, keep in mind that frame sliders are designed to prevent damage to the bikes FRAME, anything else protected is a bonus)

Answer to 3: No, all exhaust modifications do not REQUIRE any kind of fuel managment change. Many MANY people run slip-ons, from all different kinds of brands without power commanders or anything like that. Now, that being said, a custom fuel map for your aftermarket modifications will help zero in your BEST performance with your changes. So if sound and looks is what you want from the gate, you've got no issues. Want to run your bike at it's BEST with the best fuel mapping? Then go for the PCIII as well/later.

Answer to 4: It varies from can to can. Most of the time, you're not going to be saving a huge ton of weight. Eating at McD's too many times and packin' on 5 lbs will effect you more than the weight of the can change. Remember, the '07 cbr's innards are made with titanium, so they didn't drop a boat on the back end of the thing.

Answer to 5: If you like red, man, get it! Red's an awsome visual color... and trust me, anything that helps get attention from the ladies, or just people in general (so they don't run you over) is a good thing! Keep that visual stimuli in check around the police though. The thing I always liked about Red is that it's "Honda".

Hope that helps!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 PM

1. The 750 is faster everywhere but not overwhelmingly so. It has a 25% advantage in displacement so that is not surprising. The power of the CBR is close enough that I wouldn't base my decision on the power difference.
2. I have the R&G no-cut sliders. The brackets are way better than the other brackets I have seen on the other no-cut sliders. They are also more expensive.
3. A slip on does not require a PCIII (none of them do)but a PCIII will smooth out your fuel delivery and make the bike run smoother, so whether you have a slip on or not I would recommend getting one.
4. Weight savings with a slip on is minimal. A full system is another story.
5. I got the blue/silver but the red looked good in the showroom.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 AM

Welcome

Old 08-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Thanks guys.

I just took delivery of an Red/Black 07 and it is amazing. I'm still a little aprehensive about running it aggressively, at least for the first few hundred miles.

I'll hold of on performance upgrades until I've had more time with the bike.

Thanks again

Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 PM

Good call on the waiting. It's always nice to find someone who's got a good level head on them. Your manual says all you need to know about the break-in procedures. Basicly, don't kick her too bad for the first 300 miles. After that, keep with the schedualed maintenance and use the reccomended fluids and such and you'll be enjoying it for a long long time to come. Welcome to the fold!