CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

A Few Newb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Newb Questions

Bare with me guys, this is my first bike.

I want exhaust because I'm annoyed at the fact that my bike is so quiet. I'm not really going for performance because this is my first bike and I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing and don't really have the money for it. I have read enough to figure out that slip-on would be the way to go but is it best to buy an application specific slip on or can you make pretty much any sport bike slip on work. Also, what brands do you guys prefer as far as sound. I want something loud... but not to the point of being annoying.

Second question, I've also looked into this a little but couldn't find an answer that seemed clear. I want frame sliders and I know you have to cut the fairings. Well A. Is it best to get extended or not? B. Is there a write up somewhere on how to cut the fairing? I know you have to use play dough but I wasnt sure if anybody's made a write up.

Third, Whoever had the bike before me put some stupid tail lights on it that stick out and look carbon fiber like. Well what's your guys' favorite choice for aftermarket tail lights. I really want one thats the normal one with turn signals on the sides but can't find one. I've seen the integrated one but I want mine to be red in the middle with amber on the sides for the signals... is that out there somewhere?

That's it. For the record, Research has led me to buy a k&n filter, APE cam chain tensioner, ngk plugs, seafoam, and lucas oil.... So I AM researching stuff... just some stuff is hard to find. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM

As for slip-ons, any good muffler shop can make whatever one you get fit. For sound, I'm partial to either 2 bros. (not very loud at idle, then open up with throaty roar at higher rpm's) and Vance & Hines SS2R (quiet at idle then open up with higher pitched road racing kinda sound at high rpm's). Everybody has a favorite, those are just my 2.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM

I personally haven't cut fairings yet, but as far as frame sliders, you want the normal ones, not extended. Extended ones don't provide any more protection and cut your ground clearance in a lean.

If you're adding a K&N air filter and an aftermarket pipe, I'd strongly advise rejetting your bike. I suggest the Factory Pro kit because it doesn't require any modification to the carbs. Simply install the new main jet (in your case, probably a #138) and the slide needle with clip, and you're good to go. Without rejetting, your bike will run lean because of the K&N and the more open aftermarket pipe, which provides less backpressure.

I agree with you about the turn signals. If you want stock turn signals, your best bet is eBay, BikeBandit, or ServiceHonda. I got some small ones that connect to the screws in my license plate and they work well enough for what I need them to do.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

as far as fram sliders go, i got mine from a company called supply n demand on ebay for like $25 shipped. all you really need is a hole saw bit for a drill... i think its a 2" bit.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks everybody! So far I'm impressed with this forum. I've been on many forums and I really expected somebody to say something along the lines of "click the search button" or something but some stuff is just hard to find.

Anyway though, are there any brands of frame sliders that you wouldn't suggest or will they all pretty much get the job done?

The jet kit seems like a good idea. I'll have to do some looking into which brand and how to install and all that crap. Sorta scared to tweak much since I'm new to all this. But I believe you when you say it's almost a must with the slip on and filter.

Also, on the frame sliders, I was looking at pictures of f2's with frame sliders and saw on that looked like it had a rubber deal around where he cut the hole that the frame slider went through. Anybody else ever seen this and know where you might get some?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 PM

anybody?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

It was probably custom. It's not necessary or even functional really. Frame sliders are cheap for this bike and damn easy. You can get them at d2moto.com for really cheap, $20~. They come with the wrong size bolts though so be prepared to go to a Lowes to find the proper size in grade 8 steel!

As for exhaust, if you go with that, you're committing yourself to rejetting really, otherwise you adversly affect milage and performance due to an excessively lean situation. At that point you might as well put a K&N filter in there as well.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jnicola
It was probably custom. It's not necessary or even functional really. Frame sliders are cheap for this bike and damn easy. You can get them at d2moto.com for really cheap, $20~. They come with the wrong size bolts though so be prepared to go to a Lowes to find the proper size in grade 8 steel!

As for exhaust, if you go with that, you're committing yourself to rejetting really, otherwise you adversly affect milage and performance due to an excessively lean situation. At that point you might as well put a K&N filter in there as well.
I just put the k&n filter on the other day. Keeping my eye out for a slip on muffler. So I found a jet kit for like 100 but I'm assuming I've got a lot of research to do before I install it? Or should I just have a shop do it?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM

I bought a Yoshimura stainless pipe from denniskirk.com for Around $300. its quiet at idle so u wont wake anyone in morning but when u open the throttle its loud and sounds very good. If you got $400 u can get the carbon fiber one.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 PM

my vance and hines pipe is the quietest aftermarket pipe I have ever heard ( or not heard). Every two brothers pipe sounds like azzhole to me, makes lovely inline 4's sound like 4 stroke dirt bikes. try yoshi or something else IMO

Quick Reply: A Few Newb Questions