New experience this morning...rear tire blowout...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New experience this morning...rear tire blowout...

Hi all,
I have about 1,600 miles on the bike with the stock tires.
I was riding home from work this morning at 0700 (just got off a very busy night shift) and got a sudden rear flat. I was able to slow from about 55mph without too much swaying and considered my options. Huge gouge in the tire, though I didn't see what had caused it. I was about 4 miles from the local Honda dealer where I do all my servicing so I decided to ride there. I completed the ride on quiet back roads (speed limit 40mph) at no more than 15 mph, on the right of the road,with the right turn signal on, allowing the occasional car to pass. I know it looked funny...Guy on the flashy sportbike in colorful leathers going slower than the Girl Scout on the tricycle. I stopped a few times to check the condition of the rear tire.
Eventually I gota new Pilot on the rear. The mechanic handed me a3 inchbox-cutter-blade shaped piece of squashed metal that had punctured through the old tire (he found it inside!).
Question....
Was I a complete idiot to ride with a flat? I wouldn't have considered riding with the front flat, but the rear was somewhat stable. The ride felt fairly safe at the slow speed, although tending to wallow and drift. I slowed or avoided any bumps in the road and tried to shift my weight as far forward as I could comfortably.
I'm wondering what you might do in the same situation, or if you have any critical advice for me (like "Wait for a trailer, Dumbass!"). Flats tend to happen fairly regularly up here and I want to be a little more on the ball and educated about the risks next time.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Default RE: New experience this morning...rear tire blowout...

Sounds like your experience was enough. You were going slow and made it to where you wanted to be w/o ruining anything.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

I wouldn't have ridden on a flat--a new rim is pricey!
If you unintetionally hit abump or something with any weight on the bike at any speed you could screw up that rim.
My buddy and I were doing 120+ mph riding back to Worcester from Laconia this summer, him on a gixxer 750 and me on a VFR800, when he blew his back tire. Pretty freaky experience. . .
But anyway, we just waited for a pickup truck. Not worth risking costly damage. . .

Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 PM

i usually carry my dehydration pack. I have several necessary tools. including a hand pump and several plugs. Of course I never plug the front tire. I will call someone if this happens.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 AM

So in general,plugs are an option on motorcycle tires? Of course, there was no plugging this huge gouge (about 2 cm).

Slight change in subject...

Bikerboy...The VFR800 was my otherdream machine (I swore I wasn't going to get another inline 4)but I wound up getting the much lighter 600RR anyway. How did you like your VFR and how would you say it compares to your CBR?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Deleted double post

Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 PM

Quick question. (Sorry if it sounds noobish) Is it Ok to replace just one tire? I am planning to replace my plugged bridgestone for a michelin PP, therefore I'll have bridgestone in front, and michelin on back. Will there be any issues?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Good thing it didn't on a sharp curve. That would have made your day.

Seems to me like our bikes could use hazard lights (I can count of at least a dozen times I could have used them). I'll find a way, do it, then make a write-up.

......thinks for a minute.......

GOT IT! I'll do it tomorrow.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: bikerboy

I wouldn't have ridden on a flat--a new rim is pricey!
If you unintetionally hit abump or something with any weight on the bike at any speed you could screw up that rim.
My buddy and I were doing 120+ mph riding back to Worcester from Laconia this summer, him on a gixxer 750 and me on a VFR800, when he blew his back tire. Pretty freaky experience. . .
But anyway, we just waited for a pickup truck. Not worth risking costly damage. . .
Dude you were going 120mph!! of course its not safe fora tire blowout at that speed. the guy was going 55mph and rode 15mph during the flat so he's ok.

I had a flat tire on my stock Dunlops around 6k miles when i ran over some broken glass. i was able to ride the bike home just a few milesjust finebefore it went completely flat. then next day pumped air into the flat tire again and rode 15mins to the nearest bike shop to get it replaced with Michellin Pilots. as long as the tire didn't completely rip apart, you are ok with a minor air leak.

Btw its ok to mix tire brands. i still have the stock Dunlop in the front (10k miles and counting) and a fairly new Michelin in the rear. you just have to be careful with heavy braking and leaning since the front are not as grippy.

i wouldn't trust a plugged tire tho. my buddy on a 06gixxer1k who has Michelin RACE tires had a nail in the rear that he patched. he was fine for a week then had issues with it and got it replaced.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i would normally say no and that i wouldn't ride it. but the way you rode it was perfect. and as for the comment about the "pothole at anyspeed" i see that you were watching out for them all as you should and had enough time to slow to manuever around them all. so yeah i would do exactly like you, especially where i'm at. that perfect rush hour and how long it would take for someone to get you and your bike. plus you stopped a few time to check everything out. sounds pretty smart. good job. now just carry a spare in your rear compartment from now on. lol. ride safe!