Broken buttons on guage cluster.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken buttons on guage cluster.

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: FordFrenzy97

I looked in the manual and did what it said to do but nothing happened . I think one or both of the buttons is broken.
I'm too lazy to retype a thread I started on another forum, so I'll quote the thread here:

I'll start with a story of the series of events that led to me repairing my gauge cluster buttons...

After washing my bike, I was drying it with a towel and rubbed across the gauge cluster buttons and fond I pulled the rubber buttons out of the setting. Well I pushed them back in and discovered I broke the buttons; it looked like a piece was missing from the inner region where the button pushes down. No big deal, I can live without that...the clock was still adjusted right, except I couldn't set it any more so it was an hour off since "fall back."

I read a thread a long time ago that a few other people had that same thing happen and the dealer had to replace the whole gauge cluster, because of the faulty design. Well, I didn't want to have to do without my bike for such a lame reason, so I've been riding with it "broke" for over a year now.

Today I decided to take a closer look at my button dilemma and I found a white plastic piece lying inside the button holes. I reached in with hemostats, tried piercing it with a pin and I couldn't grab it no matter how hard I tried. Being as persistent as I am I decided to feel under the cluster and felt screws..."that must mean it comes apart," I thought "unless it's glued together." So there I am removing the front fairing, unplugging the wiring harness and removing the cluster from the mount. Well I'll be damned if that bitch doesn't come apart and I placed the plastic piece back where it belongs and I now have a bona fide, fully functional gauge cluster!!!

I only share this discovery in hopes that it will help someone else with a button dilemma...
Only bad news was I had to fix it again because the plastic piece fell off again, so I used crazy glue the last time...it's been good ever since!
I was just doing a search on some other stuff and came across this.

I had one broken button when I bought my bike and when I pulled off the rubber cover I screwed up the other side.

Here was how I fixed it without disassembling the cluster: I took a 1 - 1 1/2” piece of 2” wide duct tape rolled it up (sticky side out). Pre-rolled several of these before the operation. Took one, shoved the end in to fish out the little plastic pieces. Once the plastic piece is sticking out, I’ll take another piece of rolled tape and wrap it around the exposed plastic piece to keep it up and out of the way till I get the second button piece. Once the second piece is out, I’ll wrap tape around it. I placed the plastic pieces down with some pointy tweezers (I think the pieces go in one way, you have to look at the base).

Good luck if you have this problem. Good f’d up weather project. Took me several days and a lot of swearing before I got it fixed. You can bet you’re a$$ I’ll never take off the rubber button cover.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Default RE: Broken buttons on guage cluster.

Yep, had the same problem with the buttons. Got the dealer to sort it on the warranty as i said they were faulty. One has popped out again though!

Old 03-30-2006, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: philly

One has popped out again though!
That's why I used super glue!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:25 AM

If I have problems again, I'll glue them in.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:51 AM

Super glue it is then!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 PM

there is this 2003 that i am looking at buyingthat has the gauge cluster buttons missing.
I saw some pieces inside the gauge cluster.

Anyhow Is this a big deal?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 AM

no everything will still work, you wont be able to set the clock or reset the trip meter