lowering 1 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering 1 inch?

would lowering the bike 1 inch make a big difference in the handling of the bike? And wat would be the best kit for lowering it? thanks for the help

Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Default RE: lowering 1 inch?

I lowered my bike 1" and it rides great. I didn't even have to adjust the front suspension an inch, like most people recommend. The bike sits perfectly level, and handles great. The way the CBR 600 RR is engineered, the rider is way above the gas tank, almost over the fairing(ok not quite), but you know what I mean. So when I'm on the bike, I am already leaning far over, putting the majority of weight on the front lowering the front a bit. The guy at the shop said that the bike is perfectly set up for me, when it was lowered in the back 1". I haven't had and scraping the bottom or fairing issues to date. I haven't even scraped the foot pegs, and I've taken some hairpin turns at deep lean angles. I don't know what other people are complaing about. I think it was the best mod I ever made. Both my feet are on the ground at a stand still, and I feel more in control of my bike. I say do it, and you won't regret it.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:59 PM

HondaCBR600RRhunk...I asked a friend of mine...someone who I greatly respect and races professionally and here's what he said:

It depends... Just the front? Just the rear? both?

1" is pretty dramatic. If you go from either end alone, the geometry will be all screwed up and it will handle poorly. You will either turn in WAY too fast (front dropped) or turn in WAY too slow (rear dropped).

In every instance, you're going to sacrafice ground clearance which is a HUGE deal on the 600rr. If you're commuting and don't really lean that much, you can get by with it without having a problem, but if you're to the edge of your tires right now (or close to it), you will be dragging pegs, plastics and ultimately case covers until you crash.

Additionally, unless you go with an aftermarket shock to lower the rear, you're stuck using 'dog-bones' to lower it. This REALLY screws up the lever ratio of the rear pro-link suspension. The angles on the 'C' piece of the linkage change pretty significantly which affects the pull on the bike, which affects how the rear shock works.

Overall, lowering the bike is a bad idea. Can it be done? Yes. The proper way to do it would be to:

Replace the rear shock with something aftermarket that can be built shorter.

Lower the front end to match the rear.

Use offset triple clamps to correct the new steering angle.

The total cost on all of this would be around $2000 if not a few bucks more because you would need to have some sort of chassis measurement to ensure the front end is setup right.

Can you do it cheap and have it turn out right? Not really. You're going to sacrafice handling, ground clearance and overall stability.

Hope that helps..
Read and learn...ok?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:29 PM

$2000 for the bike to be lowered right?? What are you smoking? Seriously. I haven't had any issues and many others on here who have lowered their bike haven't had issues. YOU TELL ME TO READ AND LEARN. I tell you to EXPERIENCE IT FIRST HAND, AND LEARN BETTER. Its this type of propaganda that people need to be aware of. It maybe true if your lowering the bike dramatically, but 1" is not going to throw everything off. I read in a cycle mag, that the crew lowered their bike 1" in the back only, and this made the rider have better lap times, yes an improvement. For those wanting to lower your bike 1", go for it. Don't let other members convince you to do the opposite. If they really have to convince you not to do it, then there is a good reason for it, and it may not be in your best interest. Lower your ride a bit, and enjoy. Tell me how things are after you do it. You will love it, and you will notice a positive difference. Honestly.

As for me typing to all those other threads about lowering. Well if you didn't suggest NOT to do it, I wouldn't have to throw in my opinion to do otherwise. There is a reason why your a super member. If you ride more than you are on the computer answering threads, than maybe you would see for yourself what you can learn from riding your bike. Let those that want to lower their bike, to lower it okay bud?! Your discouraging people from doing it, just from what a buddy or two are saying about it. I've been there, and done it, you haven't. So your words are empty. Like I said before do it, and see how good it is. You will notice a better difference all around. If you don't like it, you can always spend another hour and remove it, and put the stocker in. Capeesh?!!

Old 10-17-2006, 03:56 PM

I don't know which thread to reply in so I pick this one...

hunk all you succeeded in doing is make yourself look stubborn and thick headed...I'm glad you enjoy your lowered bike, but you haven't offered anything but your opinion (as is mine but more factual).

The suspension modifications are suggested as the "right way to do it," obviously not the only way...I'm amazed that you ignored my example of the girl that crashed from her lowered bike and the very technical example from a professional racer and you discredit as "propaganda?" That amazes me!!! You make it seem like lowering your bike is one of the best kept secrets in the motorcycling community and I'm a protester spreading negative propaganda about it...what a hoot!!!

As far as needing to experience it...sorry...I don't need to lower my bike (I'm only an inch taller than you)...it handles just fine without it...you could tell me that jumping out of an airplane without a parachute is exciting and will improve my sky diving skills and I have enough common sense to be able to figure out that I don't need to experience that...get the picture.

Are you recommending that this "throwing on a dog bone secret" is something that's been missed in the racing circuit and every one should do it to improve their lap times? Maybe you misunderstood that Cycle Mag propaganda...

Like was mentioned in another thread...sure it CAN be lowered, but is it a good performance enhancing idea...no!

Oh and thanks for the laugh...

Old 10-17-2006, 03:57 PM

ooohhhh, I wanna post ***** too!!!
ORIGINAL: HondaCBR600RRhunk

$2000 for the bike to be lowered right?? What are you smoking? Seriously.
$2k is not outrageous if you're totally revamping your suspension. IMHO, that's the best way to go. Lowering links leave your rear shock in a position it was not designed to be in.

I haven't had any issues and many others on here who have lowered their bike haven't had issues. YOU TELL ME TO READ AND LEARN. I tell you to EXPERIENCE IT FIRST HAND, AND LEARN BETTER.
[color=#660099]Okay, I'll give you my FIRSTHAND experience. I lowered my F3 1". It was fine...until I took it to the track. I was scraping fairings in the turns. I ended up going back to stock height and even raising the rear higher than stock. So in my firsthand experience, anybody who tells you they haven't had any issues isn't pushing their bike very hard.

you can read more about my experience here (I just don't feel like re-typing it):
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/248611.aspx

Can you lower it? Yes. The real question is whether or not you should. Only you can answer that. To do such, I think you first need to determine what your ultimate goal is in relation to riding. Are you just going to tool around town with occasional jaunts into the twisties?? Or are you going to be kneedragging on the rumble strips??? I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. I'm just sharing the experience from someone whose been there and has taken it to a level that most riders with lowered bikes don't go.

In the link above, I discuss my views on various lowering methods. Hopefully, they can help you make an informed decision. You can decide what works for you (and your budget) if you still decide to lower it. Just realize that you don't get something for nothing (as with any mod on these bikes) and you will be sacrificing something.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 AM

If you are lowering because you are a little person, I would just suggest some lifting orthopedic shoes!!!!! Must suck to be short.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: arkansashog

If you are lowering because you are a little person, I would just suggest some lifting orthopedic shoes!!!!! Must suck to be short.

Oh a wise guy eh?? Spread out!!!! Nope, all if not most of the great wonders of motorcycle racing are short riders. Sorry to burst your bubble, and you thought you were clever with the shorty insults. Who says I'm short, you haven't seen my 8th wonder of the world. I'd show you, but then I'd have to moyda you. Yeah I created my own spelling for liability issues. Damn I'm too smart...

Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are there so many people asking about lowering their bikes???! Does no one read anymore? It's NOT a good idea. It's not the worst, but it's not the best by a long shot.............the worst is riding naked....

.....ANYWAY, research the topic, see what other sites (not retail sites either) say about lowering your bikes. You asked for advice, we give it, then people chew us apart because they lowered it an inch and drove it to work and it worked fine. I've been on a lowered bike around a track, not a plesant experience. A LOT of racers at the track leave their suspension setting stock unless they truely KNOW what they are doing. (and knowing how to change out a rear suspension link doesn't count).

Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Why are there so many people asking about lowering their bikes???! Does no one read anymore?
That knuckle head HondaCBR600RRhunk (not chuckle head) dragged up all the threads about lowering because he had a good ride to Starbucks where all his squid buddies were impressed with his lowered RR and felt the need to tell the world about this undiscovered performance modification...he feels we're doing the world of sport bikes a great injustice by advising people to not lower their bikes because it's very important to have both feet flat on the ground to completely control your bike....whether we've seen people have bad crashes as a result of lowering bikes and despite what professional racers say about lowering...he had a good experience, so we're all wrong...oh and he's also trolling for reactions now now so I will no longer reply to these threads...I've laid the facts out, so now it's up to the individual whether they want to lower or not...I advise NOT!

Quick Reply: lowering 1 inch?