lowering 1 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lowering 1 inch?

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Why are there so many people asking about lowering their bikes???! Does no one read anymore?
That knuckle head HondaCBR600RRhunk (not chuckle head) dragged up all the threads about lowering because he had a good ride to Starbucks where all his squid buddies were impressed with his lowered RR and felt the need to tell the world about this undiscovered performance modification...he feels we're doing the world of sport bikes a great injustice by advising people to not lower their bikes because it's very important to have both feet flat on the ground to completely control your bike....whether we've seen people have bad crashes as a result of lowering bikes and despite what professional racers say about lowering...he had a good experience, so we're all wrong...oh and he's also trolling for reactions now now so I will no longer reply to these threads...I've laid the facts out, so now it's up to the individual whether they want to lower or not...I advise NOT!

Again the fascination with starbucks coffee, your hilarious, you must be gay, but hey thats all right. Come to Canada over here, so you can get married to your buddy with the gay high motorcycle boots. Its ok to make mistakes, you wouldn't be a rider, if you didn't. Your just a victim of circumstance, nea, nea... A wise guy eh.... spread out and let the wizard speak.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Why are there so many people asking about lowering their bikes???! Does no one read anymore? It's NOT a good idea. It's not the worst, but it's not the best by a long shot.............the worst is riding naked....

.....ANYWAY, research the topic, see what other sites (not retail sites either) say about lowering your bikes. You asked for advice, we give it, then people chew us apart because they lowered it an inch and drove it to work and it worked fine. I've been on a lowered bike around a track, not a plesant experience. A LOT of racers at the track leave their suspension setting stock unless they truely KNOW what they are doing. (and knowing how to change out a rear suspension link doesn't count).

Here is an expert opinion on this topic. If you want this gentleman's email and business number, let me know and I will send it PM to you directly. I like his opinion, no B.S. no run around, no kiddie games like some of you on here. What haters you are, what a shame. When I become moderator on this board, I'm going to have all you wise guy knuckheads canned. You watch me, nea, nea, spread out...The next paragraph is quoted, and this is what the expert had to say about the topic. Enough mickey mouse from the super members(I use the word loosely).

"Hello. Everyone has many opinion's on the subject. First are you comfortable like it is now? I will try to answer your questions as best. If you race your bike at the track I say if you lower the rear, lower the front. The reason the rear is higher or lifted is for better handling, better feedback from rear suspension, more grip on the rear wheel,more weight on the front wheel and less kickback.
But again all depends how you ride. I would lower it and adjust your suspension a little harder at the rear to help compensate. Your bike comes lifted from the factory and it can handle just one inch of drop. Now lowering the front is not a big deal. I would maybe lower it a 1/2 inch but you don't have to. Yes it does become a safety issue, if you can’t plant both feet flat on the ground. Sure you can ride like that, but it creates a safety issue. So I say drop it the inch and most riders wont notice the difference in the ride. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions needed. We are here to help keep you safe and make a responsible decision on motorcycle related issues."

Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM

I have more opinions about this subject from expert advice, not from some pipe dreamers, Once again I am at the center of controversy. I'm running for forum mediator soon. I provide the fun factor in these forums. Nobody and I mean nobody stirs it up better than me. Check out my other fine threads, such as the big hit "Octane discreptancy", and you will see the wizard in action. Thank you all that made this thread possible, it was a splice once again. You all have been munk'd. Good sports is what you all are!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: HondaCBR600RRhunk

Here is an expert opinion on this topic.
Who is your "expert?" What qualifications does he have?

My expert is Jeff Kufalk, who has been racing for the last 6 years...this man lives, breaths and eats motorcycles and here's his standings at the close of this race season:

Season Class standings Midwest Region:

Middlweight Superbike 5th out of 65
Heavyweight Superbike 5th out of 36
GTO 4th out of 59

(classes I did not run consistently in the Midwest)
Middleweight GP - 10th out of 62
Heavyweight Supersport 9th out of 47
Unlimited Supersport 8th out of 49 (which is funny since I only ran 3 rounds)

Class Standings in the Blackhawk Farms Championship:
Middleweight GP - 9th out of 39
Middleweight Superbike - 6th out of 34
Heavyweight Supersport - 6th out of 31
GTO - 4th out of 34
Heavyweight Superbike 3rd out of 26 (by ONE point!)

Overall Midwest standings out of 204 racers:
9th place unadjusted points
11th place adjusted points

Here's his quote again:

It depends... Just the front? Just the rear? both?

1" is pretty dramatic. If you go from either end alone, the geometry will be all screwed up and it will handle poorly. You will either turn in WAY too fast (front dropped) or turn in WAY too slow (rear dropped).

In every instance, you're going to sacrafice ground clearance which is a HUGE deal on the 600rr. If you're commuting and don't really lean that much, you can get by with it without having a problem, but if you're to the edge of your tires right now (or close to it), you will be dragging pegs, plastics and ultimately case covers until you crash.

Additionally, unless you go with an aftermarket shock to lower the rear, you're stuck using 'dog-bones' to lower it. This REALLY screws up the lever ratio of the rear pro-link suspension. The angles on the 'C' piece of the linkage change pretty significantly which affects the pull on the bike, which affects how the rear shock works.

Overall, lowering the bike is a bad idea. Can it be done? Yes. The proper way to do it would be to:

Replace the rear shock with something aftermarket that can be built shorter.

Lower the front end to match the rear.

Use offset triple clamps to correct the new steering angle.

The total cost on all of this would be around $2000 if not a few bucks more because you would need to have some sort of chassis measurement to ensure the front end is setup right.

Can you do it cheap and have it turn out right? Not really. You're going to sacrafice handling, ground clearance and overall stability.

Hope that helps..
Pick which "expert opinion" you like and trust and take it from there...

Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Lets have your expert and my expert do lunch, I will send your thread to him right now, and I will have him respond to your statement. Be patient, we will have this matter resolved. Check back sometime tonight, this will be interesting to say the least.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Lets have your expert and my expert do lunch, I will send your thread to him right now, and I will have him respond to your statement. Be patient, we will have this matter resolved. Check back sometime tonight, this will be interesting to say the least.
You're like a down jacket...full of fluff...

Old 10-18-2006, 01:47 PM

And the ratings get better and better...I love it, its great for the sport....

Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

You're like a down jacket...full of fluff...

Oh yeah a wise guy eh? You remind me of a straight jacket, you should be in one. Thats how you ride eh? In a straight jacket, look no hands ma...

Old 10-19-2006, 03:54 PM

Okay this is in response to Fret's expert friend. I sent him your response like I told you, and now he has responded back. Here it is:

"Hey there. He is write on much of what he wrote. But again. I do own a motorcycle customs and repair shop and have been in this field for over 30 years. I have lowered hundreds of customer's bikes and have rode every one of them and did not see or feel a problem. Now like I said if you are going to race or live in a place like the dragon tail and ride all out every time you fire it up around curves you will have to be aware of your clearance. Now I don't see you hitting any body just maybe the belly pan(depending how much you lower it) but you won't wreck it. As for the pegs, they would be a little closer but I tell you this no matter what height you are at, if you hit the pegs you are leaning a bit much to begin with for road riding. You can get slash cut pegs and that will take care of that 50.00 bucks. Now you can go with an adjustable shock 1000.00 more or less but I would NOT recommend doing it. Why spend a grand to lower the bike when it can be done safely for under 100.00? Like I said, drop it the inch adjust the shock 2 to 3 notches stiffer and you will be fine. He is correct on almost everything BUT is he taking into account your ride style?. If you plan on going to track days YES. But if you just go wild once in a while and are a responsible motorcycle rider, go for it and lower it. It will not harm the bike in the least. And for the little difference you probably won't feel it unless you are a racer or like me that has over 10,000 track miles and over 300,000 street miles. You can always change it back for the days you will ride mountain twisties and race tracks. When links are made, the length is set to safety standards. The link instructions will explain not to lower it more then the recommended height. If you follow the directions as stated, it will be safe. Why make them if they did not work or where not safe? I sell 600 to 700 a year. I think they are good alternative for street bikes and riders that need to lower there bike slightly. I will add one more thing. Another method I use to lower seat height is that I take the seat remove the factory cushion and replace it with a thinner material. It is half the size almost, but feels even better then the stock cushion. It is not cheap but it is under 250.00 to do. Like I said try the links if you dont feel ok you can always take them out and put back the stock links in, simple as that."

Luis Engracio

There you go guys, now you can make up your own mind. Fret and company said their stuff, and Luis said his own thing. It is up to you all to decide what you want to do with the bike, how you ride it, and if you should lower it or not. I personally lowered mine(so I can flat foot instead of tippy toe) an inch in the back like I stated before, and love it. I don't do circuit racing, but I do lean pretty steep in the twisties here. I don't knee drag though, and don't plan to either. So if your like me, and commute or drag race occassionally or enjoy the weekend cruise on some nice twisty roads like me, than if you need to lower your bike a little bit for any reason, just do it. I'm not here to sway anybody's opinion, just do whats best for YOU, and shut up the critics once and for all. Peace out....

Old 10-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Okay, so he pretty much agreed to everything Fretless stated and had most of the same arguements. But hey, its up to whoever is doind it and noone can tell you how it will feel on YOU, but I know for ME, I didnt like it one bit.

Quick Reply: lowering 1 inch?