idle speed too low

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle speed too low

Hey all,

New here and i've been looking around the forums for some help with my semi-new 2005 Cbr600rr.

I know that i'm a nub at this, but hopefully someone will be nice enough to answer a couple of questions.

Basically i bought a 05 cbr600rr from a private seller for a really good price. Everything seems fine except that when i rev the engine in neutral, a couple times the engine will stop running and basically reset to as if i was starting the bike up again. SOMETIMES it'll turn back on if i hit the start switch, but for the most part it will not idle unless i roll the throttle a lil bit to keep the engine on. More or less kind of a nuissance and it's starting to worry me.

Being new i've asked pretty much everyone from honda to all my mechanic friends.

After reading a couple posts i have noted a couple things about the bike that may narrow my search or trouble shooting.

First off ~ i put in new gas and some fuel injection cleaner in it, because it hasn't been riden in about 8 months.

Second ~ after it warms up the idle speed is actually at about 1k rpm but it does start to dip up and down from about 500 rpm to 1k rpm.
(If anyone can pt me in the right direction of how to find and adjust the idle switch that'd be greatly appreciated)

Third ~ it's only when i start revving it. At idle without revving it sits there for a good while. . . but when u start revving it's as if when the needle comes back down it just hits the magic zero and
shuts off.

So with that ~ I'm thinking of testing the electrics. Bought a new battery seeing that it is 3 yrs old and it hasn't been run for about a good year.

Next i would love to try and adjust the idle speed . . . from what i've read the rpm's should be at 1300 to 1400 ish? and again if i'm retarded and there is not adjuster like the 07+ cbr's than my mistake.

If anyone else has any other ideas as to what the issues are plz let me know. From what i know the bike it pretty stock other than someone lowering the controls a lil bit on the trees. I'll probably move em up tomorrow just to start "fresh".

Thanks for any help and ur patience!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Default RE: idle speed too low

alright just to make sure we'reon the same page..so are you saying that it does this wen the bike is cold? in that when you start to rev it drops and shuts off? or does it do it even after the fact its warmed up?

if it happens wen cold, it cud b because the previous owner had the throttle cable loosen for his tastes...or being its 2-3yrs old it cud just have loosened by itself. thats the only thing ii cud think of right now...just 2 try n help..SRY

Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM

O btw...Hello & Welcome!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 PM

thanks for the welcome! =)

but it does it even when it's warm too.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM

yea well sounds like ii problem ii cant help diagnos...iim farely new to the whole bi stuff myself! SRY agen...

but its obviously summin internal...be it electrical, or motorwise. Good Luck MAn