Is a honda cbr 600rr a good starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
HEY! my first sport bike was a 954rr! But i had owned, a 600 shadow and 1300 vtx before i got her as well as dirt bikes and many atvs
Yea but your first bike wasnt My first bike (owned) was a KDX 175 and the two Honda Shadows, and then a 88 Hurricane and now my F4. And I started riding when I was a kid on dirt bikes and quads.

All my statements refer to new riders and first bikes.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Me? A liter? Figure my F3 has prolly lost a step over it's 15 years... So it might take 4-5 sec to hit 60 mph. Ain't no place I gotta get to where a +2 sec arrival time will make a difference.

I'm good
Yeah, about 4 seconds is close.. Hell, the specs on my F4 were somthin like 0-60 in 3.9s.. in the real world, thats no slouch.. I tell people all the time, "its just a 600, but she'll beat a Ferrari.." And literbikes are just nuts for a guy my sixe (still only like 132#..) but the pulling power at 100+mph is SOOOOO addictive to me

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Only fools start on a 1k!!! Sure one can start on a 600 but only 1 in 10 do so w/o dropping it or crashing.

Anyone who thinks a 600 is slow just doesnt have any common sense!!!

Its simple, if you want to learn how to be a good rider start small n concentrate on learning to ride.

If you rather look kewl, go fast be a parts n organ donor, then start on a 600 or bigger.
Ima have to agree witcha on the 1k deal.. Even though I had lotsa experience on fast dirtbikes and 600s, that first literbike experiece was still quite shocking.. even though I was running through the gears to redline with maximum throttle input. Theres too much goin on for a n00b to really concentrate on the fundamentals at a faster pace(as in the twisties..), and too much throttle exiting a turn and.. s u p r i s e!! ham fist in 1st-3rd (or 4th in my case)?? and.... you get the picture ;^)

And also I agree with PG, if you get that 6RR the chances of beconming organ donor/mutilated/closed casket are multiplied like you wouldnt belive.. On the other hand, it ranks up the with GREAT sexxx :^)

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
HEY! my first sport bike was a 954rr! But i had owned, a 600 shadow and 1300 vtx before i got her as well as dirt bikes and many atvs
bubba, how long did it take you to pick your jaw up off the ground the first time you ran that beater to redlinde in a handful of gears?? :^)

I also agree with what PG said, you still had quite an advantage by ****ing with dirtbikes and other non-sportbikes that an actual n00b13

Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM

My riding experience is thus: hardcore BMX thrasher, minimal dirtbike experience, extensive manual automobile experience, Honda Nighthawk 650, had for three months before getting "cruiser" bored, then 600RR. Interpret that as you will, maybe I'm the "one in ten" maybe not IDK. All I know is that the first time I rode my CBR I knew I had found the right bike for me, and the machine felt like an extension of my thoughts. After that very first ride, I thought "Now this is the MACHINE I was meant to learn how to RIDE on..."

That being said, they all operate the same, when it comes down to it, and following the speed limit while learning to ride is a great place to start, as well as all the proper gear. A 250 can kill you just as fast as a 'Busa, (o.k. well maybe not Quite just as fast, but you get the picture).

By the way, that Nighthawk 650 I sold to my brother-in-law, who promptly rode through the neighbors lawn the first time he got on it because his brain was over loaded with inputs, and he forgot turn coming out of his driveway. As his wife looked on in disbelief she said "Your going to park that now, aren't you?" to which he firmly replied "No", and went on down the road.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh... I don't agree with the "250 will kill you just as fast..." mentality. Been hearing it too much and it ignores a lot of things. A Honda Elite will kill you just as fast as a 'busa... If you ride it into oncoming traffic in the middle of an intersection.

A 250 will not kill you just as fast as a 600 because it physically can't under many circumstances. The power isn't availible as quickly as bigger bikes. Nor is it availible in the same amounts. It takes longer to climb into the power bands, giving a new rider time to correct mistakes that can be painful or fatal. It is slower to put a new rider into the middle of dangerous situation. The sense of speed and power are less, slower to inundate newer riders with 'input overload'. It doesn't "forgive mistakes" as many people put it. They simply don't have a chance to become a mistake. Or to put it into better perspective: A Honda Elite will kill you just as fast as a 'busa if you ride it into oncoming traffic in the middle of an intersection... But it'll take you longer to get into that intersection, giving you time to realize just how badly you're about to **** up and do something different.

Yes do something royal stupid and you'll be just as dead, just as quick, on any motorcycle. Playing in highway traffic on foot ranks right up there with dead & quick too. But saying "A 250cc motorcycle will kill you just as fast as..." completely disrespects whatever motorcycle you end the sentence with. And it gives a new rider a false sense of security

Last edited by Kuroshio; 02-09-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 AM

I started on 200cc dirt bike, then went to 250cc Sport bike, now ride a 600 sport bike and even after that progression the 600 still blew me away when i first rode it. I was only 16 at the time and just started riding the 600 now im 17 and i have had a couple of close calls maybe because i'm young and its hard to resist the throttle twisting hehe

Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Eh... I don't agree with the "250 will kill you just as fast..." mentality. Been hearing it too much and it ignores a lot of things. A Honda Elite will kill you just as fast as a 'busa... If you ride it into oncoming traffic in the middle of an intersection.

A 250 will not kill you just as fast as a 600 because it physically can't under many circumstances. The power isn't availible as quickly as bigger bikes. Nor is it availible in the same amounts. It takes longer to climb into the power bands, giving a new rider time to correct mistakes that can be painful or fatal. It is slower to put a new rider into the middle of dangerous situation. The sense of speed and power are less, slower to inundate newer riders with 'input overload'. It doesn't "forgive mistakes" as many people put it. They simply don't have a chance to become a mistake. Or to put it into better perspective: A Honda Elite will kill you just as fast as a 'busa if you ride it into oncoming traffic in the middle of an intersection... But it'll take you longer to get into that intersection, giving you time to realize just how badly you're about to **** up and do something different.

Yes do something royal stupid and you'll be just as dead, just as quick, on any motorcycle. Playing in highway traffic on foot ranks right up there with dead & quick too. But saying "A 250cc motorcycle will kill you just as fast as..." completely disrespects whatever motorcycle you end the sentence with. And it gives a new rider a false sense of security
well said friend

Originally Posted by Black.Prince
I started on 200cc dirt bike, then went to 250cc Sport bike, now ride a 600 sport bike and even after that progression the 600 still blew me away when i first rode it. I was only 16 at the time and just started riding the 600 now im 17 and i have had a couple of close calls maybe because i'm young and its hard to resist the throttle twisting hehe
You cant beat that previous experience, even if it just a dirty or cruiser.. I too was a bit shocked the first time I twisted the ***** off my six. I too got myself into some close calls, but it was due to riding w a y above the posted limits and I do belive my prior experience is the only reason I'm here and able today...

edit>> Nice sig B.P, I ****en love some w r c :^D

Last edited by kingyeddi; 02-09-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: to give B.P props on his sig
Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Don't overlook my statement about "obeying the posted speed limits and wearing all the gear" What I meant was that you don't have to bounce the thing off the rev limiter when you learn how to ride, and the bike moves forward at 2000 to 5000 rpm just fine.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Don't overlook my statement about "obeying the posted speed limits and wearing all the gear" What I meant was that you don't have to bounce the thing off the rev limiter when you learn how to ride, and the bike moves forward at 2000 to 5000 rpm just fine.
True, but when new and just learning most riders dont have throttle control. We're not really talking about intentionally going fast, but more of when you hit bumps in the road and have you arms too tense n the rider ends up giving it more throttle than expected. Or when granny or the impatient teenybopper decide to pull out in front of em and they grab too much front brake. A 250 only has a single disc so its harder to lock it up, but any 600 of the last decade can lock the front wheel up at will. Locking the rear up, yea thats gonna be about the same on any bike, tho proper use of it should be learned b4 ever hitting the streets. I've never locked up a rear brake on the street (dirt is a diff story tho ) and honestly seldom use the rear brake except in panic stops or when doing the fraction zone (which most newbs dont have a clue about).

SO what most of us mean is yea sure with responsible, self-controled, attentive riders learning on a 600 is possible. But it takes a rider twice as long on avg to learn starting at on bikes that were intended for experienced riders.

How many ppl do you know that learned how to drive in a 500hp car???

Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
True, but when new and just learning most riders dont have throttle control. We're not really talking about intentionally going fast, but more of when you hit bumps in the road and have you arms too tense n the rider ends up giving it more throttle than expected. Or when granny or the impatient teenybopper decide to pull out in front of em and they grab too much front brake. A 250 only has a single disc so its harder to lock it up, but any 600 of the last decade can lock the front wheel up at will. Locking the rear up, yea thats gonna be about the same on any bike, tho proper use of it should be learned b4 ever hitting the streets. I've never locked up a rear brake on the street (dirt is a diff story tho ) and honestly seldom use the rear brake except in panic stops or when doing the fraction zone (which most newbs dont have a clue about).

SO what most of us mean is yea sure with responsible, self-controled, attentive riders learning on a 600 is possible. But it takes a rider twice as long on avg to learn starting at on bikes that were intended for experienced riders.

How many ppl do you know that learned how to drive in a 500hp car???

Agreed. This question cannot be answered by a stranger because a stranger does not know that riders habits off the bike. Most likely if they fail to see the point of a 250, they DON'T belong on a 600 to begin with.

I learned to drive stick in a 380hp '65 Daytona Coupe in the middle of a huge parking lot... The only other car I had driven at the time was a 90hp automatic ford tempo that weighed twice as much as the coupe. 16 years old, moms boyfriend was trying make buddy buddy with me. It worked. Sure it's not 500hp, but it's probably got better or close to the same power/weight ratio than a 500hp Chevelle.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Lower than that man... When I ride in the snow/ice I shift at around 3k, basically try to keep it as close to idle as possible. When I teach someone how to ride I teach them to start off without using the throttle at all, any 600 new or old should be able to get up to 7mph using just the clutch without burning up the clutch or killing it.

Quick Reply: Is a honda cbr 600rr a good starter bike?